• In the Spotlight:

Can you give me some ideas please??

I know christmas is still kinda far away, but I'm a single mom with not much money! I have my daughter, mom and dad, grandma and grandpa, sister her husband and 2 boys, and like 5 friends I need to buy for. My daughter will be 16 months old then. Any good ideas of pretty cheap things I can get for the people I have listed? I figured if I start buying now I may be able to afford it all. Thank you so much for your help!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:28 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Why not make something for the family and friends. Like I do couples or family gifts rather than individual ones.

For instance, this year we will be buying cheap white or yellow towels and my boys will put their handprints on them. Or I might do bathmats with their feetprints on them.

Cute and budget friendly.

For your little girl maybe find some cute toys at the dollar store? They probably have some cute rag dolls she'd like to walk around with(if she's walking) or some of those Crayola magic marker sets where she can paint and/or color without leaving a mess everywhere.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:33 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• We make everything in our family. From cookies and sweets to blankets and clothes (real simple stuff) For your daughter-I saw a pattern for a dress in Parents Magazine for two hankerchiefs (sp) sewed together with about 4 inches left at the top (for arms) then sew hem on both at the top about an inch in width for ribbons to go in to tie. SO CUTE!
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 4:35 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Bake something or learn to crochet/knit.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 4:40 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• First, I would make my daughters gifts my first priority, being a single mom, relatives and friends should understand. Now, if and when you get her shopping done, why not a framed pic of you or you and your daughter for the relatives and friends. Thats what my hubby and I did for our family one year and they loved it!
    Chrissy0918

Answer by Chrissy0918 at 4:58 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I agree with the last poster. Get your DD dressed up in her best dress and take a pic of her in front of the tree, or fireplace, or whatever. Buy some cheap frames at the Dollar Tree. You can also print off some Christmas themed coloring pages and let her color them. That's what we had to do for our extended family. With 3 LO's we just can't afford to buy for everyone! And for your DD, she's going to be more interested in the boxes than the actual gifts. So maybe buy her 1 or 2 cheap but nice gifts, and then several $1 gifts so she has more to unwrap. That will be her favorite part, anyway.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 5:04 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• For family... I always had my son make them somthing. Even if it was a card with his had print or a framed picture of him.

As for something for your daughter... your lucky shes so young. She wont care how many presents she has or what it is. You could go to the dallor store and get a ball... as long as she's unwrapping something, she'll be happy.

Also, theres always lay away :)
    beka03

Answer by beka03 at 5:14 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I would make a list of priorities for gift buying. At the top of the list would be your daughter, then parents, then sister & BIL and their 2 kids, then grandparents, THEN friends. Buy your daughter some inexpensive things. At that age, she won't care. The crayola color wonder items are GREAT and cost under $10. The Dollar Tree often has super cute dolls or stuffed animals, many stocking stuffers, etc. For your parents and grandparents, the best gift in all honesty is a nice photograph in a cute frame. You can get a small set of photos done for under $30 in places like Wal-Mart and Target a lot of the time, and the Dollar Tree or Ross normally has some really cute frames at a good price. For your sister and BIL, how about giving them a "coupon" for babysitting if you live nearby along with 2 movie tickets. For friends, I would give them a $5 or $10 gift card for somewhere they like such as Starbucks/McDonalds/etc.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 5:52 PM on Aug. 5, 2009