Can you give me some ideas please??

I know christmas is still kinda far away, but I'm a single mom with not much money! I have my daughter, mom and dad, grandma and grandpa, sister her husband and 2 boys, and like 5 friends I need to buy for. My daughter will be 16 months old then. Any good ideas of pretty cheap things I can get for the people I have listed? I figured if I start buying now I may be able to afford it all. Thank you so much for your help!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:28 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Holidays

• Sure! What stores do you have near you? The baby will still be young enough that you won't have to get anything really expensive, if you don't want to. Babies are notorious for liking the packaging more than the gift! A few baby toys - maybe if there's something she esp. likes - or if there's anything she really needs - Christmas is a good reason for splurging on those things. Be sure to check the packaging for age recommendations for the kids. For grown-ups: dvds, cds, candles, bath stuff, books, magazine subscriptions. Food gifts are often a good idea for hard-to-buy-for men. There are lots of recipes online for soup mixes, brownie mixes, those sorts of things if you want to do some of that - you can put it in a pretty dollar-store container, with a ribbon and a card. If you have a craft store nearby, candles, picture frames & containers are usually pretty inexpensive there, too. You could do a handprint gift from your baby.
    DrJChappell

Answer by DrJChappell at 4:47 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• i think pics of your daughter in super cute frames would be a good idea for all the adults. kohls usually has great sales on these things. you can either take the pics yourself or get a package at walmart. altogether, you can probably get away with spending $30.00 between mom, dad, grandma, grandpa, sister, and brother-in-law. even less, if these are married couples. bake cookies for them if you wanna give a little extra. next, your daughter is so young, get her just 2-3 gifts that are not too expensive $5-20 range and wrap up empty boxes to give it a different appearance if you want. and for your nephews, set a limit for yourself, spend that on each of them. and tell your sister to do the same for your little girl. and for the friends, hit up victoria secret 2 times before christmas and take advantage of the 5 for $20. then you can give each friend 2 bottles and maybe each a wallet size pic of the baby in a card. good luck!
    brodysmama23

Answer by brodysmama23 at 5:04 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Wow! I might need two posts to answer this. First, do you haveto give gifts to all these people, or is it just your own expectation that you should?  A few years ago I got my siblings to agree to only kids buying for kids and god parents for god kids.  My parents are divorced and hard to buy for.  Grocery store gift cards were a good alternative.  For friends...How about a cookie exchange party?  Do a service project together, or go in together to buy something from heifer.org.  Maybe even trade babysitting services for spa days or date nights.  The holidays don't have to be expensive.  Family and friends should be the most understanding of, and sensitive to, your current circumstances.  I have more ideas.  Feel free to get in contact with me.

wya_mom

Answer by wya_mom at 10:08 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I think that making up movie night gifts is a fun & inexpensive gift. You could get it for your sister & her family, your parents, and your friends. Just buy inexpensive containers such as big plastic bowls (or a nice popcorn bowl-found a cute one at Target last Christmas) and fill it with microwave popcorn, candy bars or movie-sized candy, a couple of Cokes or other drinks, and choose a dvd, $5 Blockbuster card, or a one month subscription to Netflix (can get for as little as $4.99). This makes a nice family gift if they enjoy watching movies. The amount of snacks & drinks that I place in the bowl depends on how many people are in the family. I usually buy a big box of popcorn & divide up the packages. Walmart sells the candy cheaply. You can also divide up a 6 pack of Coke bottles (or last year I bought the little glass Santa Coke bottles). It saves from having to buy individual gifts for everyone.
    soccermom0002

Answer by soccermom0002 at 10:52 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• one thing i like to do for like my parents and stuff is make a crafty thing with my DD like a flower pot with her hand prints on it with finger paint and put a flower in it for them. Look for things that have more meaning than price. Also the good part is since its soo early you can shop around for bargains. Im waiting for our wedding to be over in sept and im going to get my shopping done too lol. something i love to give as presents is baskets. You buy a $5 basket from walmart pick a theme and fill it with things. I made one for a good friend last christmas. opened a blanket and set it in the bottom, put her fave movie, popcorn, pop, candies, and stuff like that and then pulled the rest of the blanket up the sides and tied a bow around the top to make it wrapped. Its creative and with a lot of little things its cheap but doesnt look cheap. Look for things your family likes and make baskets for them.
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 1:51 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Maybe talk to Mom, Dad, Sis, BIL, Gma, and Gpa about drawing names. That way you only have to buy one gift for a family member. Now that we are all adults that is what we do. My Mom puts all names in a bowl. Writes them all on a list by age. She draws a name and puts it by the first person on the list and works her way down.
    As for your little one, she will still be pretty young. A few small things will do. At that age they are happy to play with the box and paper!
    Organize a night with your friends and instead of several gifts everyone brings one. Put them all in a pile and make it into a game. The first person in linepicks a gift, second person can either take their gift or pick one from the pile. It works around the circle and the person who went first gets last pick. They can either keep what they were left with or pick a gift. No gift can be taken more than three times. Again, 1 gift instead of 5.
    PatCarMom

Answer by PatCarMom at 7:47 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• What we do in our family is a while elephant exchange. Eveyrone brings one gift under a set limit so you're not shopping for everyone. It's a lot of fun. Or you can exchange names and that way you only have to buy for one. Pictures are good. That's what we did for my parents and grandparetns this year. And I wouldnt' buy anything for the toddler. Hide a toy and wrap it. It'll be like getting it all over again. Besies, at her age, most of the fun is ripping the paper off, not getting the gift. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:12 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I had another idea. Would the grandparents and great-grandparents (however many your daughter has) be willing to give her savings bonds instead of tons of gifts? They take about 20 years to mature, and she will need the money for college or life at that time. I got them for the first 5 years of my son and my Goddesss Daughter's life, plus a small gift for each of them to unwrap. It was a nice way to find balance between practicality and more stuff. Maybe you'll start a trend in your family of an overall reduction of "stuff", and an increase of amazing gifts.
    wya_mom

Answer by wya_mom at 7:39 PM on Aug. 9, 2009