Anyone else have a five year old daughter with a temper problem?

About once or twice a week, my daughter gets really out of control when she is mad at me (usually regarding my response to a question she asks.) She will hit, kick, yell, say mean things, slam her bedroom door (Hello teenage years!), and cover her ears to not hear me. Honestly I don't know where she gets this from. She has been yelled at before, of course, and sometimes spanked, but no one in our house behaves the wya she does. Is it normal? I thought she should be way past this.

Andi1972

Asked by Andi1972 at 4:41 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yes, my five year old daughter acts that way from time to time what I have found to stop that I either ignore her, send her to her room(when I san no longer handle the noise), and my most favorite put just a little vinegar in her mouth and so we don't have many problems any more. Good luck.
    Tdaycare6678

Answer by Tdaycare6678 at 4:51 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• 5 year olds don't always have the verbal skills to communicate their anger, so they act it out or scream it out.  Try to get her to verbally (calmly) tell you she is mad.  Acknowledge that you understand she is mad, but don't give in.  If she continues tell her she needs to go into her room until she can calm herself down.  When she does, acknowledge that she you are glad she has and that you like her behavior better that way.

Read books to help her understand her anger and the appropriate way to express.  http://www.cjkidz.com/parentsgrandparentsteachers.html (Click on Anger/Acting Out)

momjs

Answer by momjs at 9:13 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• We had similar problem with our daughter who is now 8. She still have problems with dealing with frustration and transitions, but is soo much better. We sought the help of a therapist when things just got totally out of control and had moved to a new state.
    some books you may want to read are 1. Parents, Kids, and Power Struggles, 2. The Explosive Child, 3. Setting limits with your strong-willed child, and 4. Your defiant Child - to get started. Look them up on Amazon and decide which book covers the types of problems your daughter is facing.
    We have found that a strict bed time works wonders as well. We found that our daughter needs 9 - 11 hours of sleep in order to feel balanced. We have also found that she needs physical exertion to de-stress and bought her a trampoline and put her in tumbling. We felt that our child's behavior was out of the ordinary and not easily fixed by "normal" parenting methods
    dstoeck

Answer by dstoeck at 11:31 PM on Aug. 5, 2009