Sugar on the nipple

I can't get my 4 month old breasfed baby to take the bottle... My neighbor suggested putting sugar on the nipple.... I'm a lil hesitant to try... would do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:57 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have heard of sugar water (they use it when your first trying to BF in the Hosp) but not straight sugar.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:58 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• They used sugar water to comfort my son during his circumcision
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:20 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I suggest finding a bottle nipple that is similar to the breast first, but I don't think a little sugar will hurt to make the transaction a little easier.
    amber1216

Answer by amber1216 at 5:22 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Op: I've tried every booby looking and feeling bottle that's out there
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:23 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• i wouldnt. the sugar given to newborns is to elevate their blood sugar levels.

likely, she will suck off the sugar, then spit out the teat- meaning you will either have to stop trying to get her to take a bottle, or put more sugar on..
    katiemum

Answer by katiemum at 5:29 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• remember they are used to you - it might take some time for him to get used to it, but he won't starve himself and if he truly refuses to eat at all, talk to your doctor. I am sure he just has to learn how to use the new type of nipple
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:37 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• umm I wouldnt put sugar on the nipple
    bzykim7

Answer by bzykim7 at 11:51 PM on Aug. 5, 2009