Do You Believe in Affirmative Action? Why or Why not?

I believe in affirmative action...I feel like some races (including all women) never got a fair chance. The world seems to be more acceptive of women and certain races, but I think it is still hard for them and us. I believe in affirmative action and I believe that we as a nation should continue to cater to the needs of others when many times, they are treated unfairly at the start.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:06 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• As long as someone may be denied a job, education, place to live, etc due to their gender, race or whatever, Affirmative Action is necessary. We are a long way from looking at everyone as equals here in the USA.

gludwig2000

Answer by gludwig2000 at 5:13 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I don't know about affirmative action as much as equal justice. I prefer these words instead;

"You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift. You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down. You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred. You cannot build character and courage by taking away people's initiative and independence. You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves."
    Abraham Lincoln
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 5:18 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Its racism.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:19 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Its racism.

How is calling for all people to be treated equally being racist.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:21 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• "How is calling for all people to be treated equally being racist."

Denying somebody a job because theyre white and the employer MUST hire a minority instead? Yeah, I can see how the term racist fits.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 5:23 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Let me add... the white male (most likely) would be denied, even though he has more qualifications than the minority.. Its gross.
    Yes, it "protects" those who would potentionally be denied from a job, but it also hinders those who are more qualified than the next person.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 5:25 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• But Carpy, that is not the intention of Affirmative Action. The intention is to treat everyone equally, to disallow the practice of denying someone a job because their skin was not white or they were not male.
    gludwig2000

Answer by gludwig2000 at 5:26 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Oops, Bexi, not Carpy! Sorry,lol.
    gludwig2000

Answer by gludwig2000 at 5:27 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• "But Carpy, that is not the intention of Affirmative Action. The intention is to treat everyone equally, to disallow the practice of denying someone a job because their skin was not white or they were not male."

Even though that was not the intention, it stills comes off that way. it's a lose-lose situation, imo.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 5:27 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• absolutely!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:28 PM on Aug. 5, 2009