Does anybody have a "heavier" toddler??

my 3 year old son is 38inches tall,and weighs 57 pounds...I have asked the doctor about it and he says that it's nothing to worry about at this point because within a couple month time frame he could grow a couple of inches and his weight would ration out better,and he also keeps assuring me that muscle weighs more than fat.I was just wondering if there is anyone else with a heavier child?? I'm not saying that i'm not worried about my sons health&weight because I myself know what its like being overweight-especially as a child,but I also agree with his dr. to a certain level because to look at my son he doesn't look like he weighs that much,he doesnt have rolls of fat hanging or nothing like that-he just looks solid/muscular.But like I said above I was just wondering if there was anyone else in my situation and what there outcome was???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:14 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Look for a new doctor. Muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. That is a fallacy perpetrated to make people feel better about themselves.

What is his diet like? Does he eat a balanced diet? Does he eat a lot of junk? Does he drink a lot of juice? Does he drink sugary drinks? Does he eat/drink a lot of high fat content? Does he get plenty of exercise?

Has he always been big? Is he following his growth curve or did he suddenly gain weight?

My 2 year old is 36 inches and only 33lbs. He's a chunk. I watch his diet, make sure he gets plenty of exercise, etc...there are days when if I didn't control what he ate, the amount that he ate, he'd eat continuously.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:56 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Muscle DOES weigh more than fat. If your child is solid, there may be nothing you can do. He may just be a sturdy child. There is no need to get a new doctor. Your child is a toddler, he has a long ways to go before he is done growing. I wouldn't worry at this point. especially if he is a healthy child. You need to look at genetics too. Is his father solid? Grandpa? Etc. I would just keep an eye on him for now and see what happens.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:03 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• MY SON IS 3 1/2 AND HE IS 39 LBS AND 39 INCHES TALL!!! HE IS A SQUARE!!!LOL!!! HE IS ALSO A BOY!!! MY DOCTOR NEVER SAYS ANYTHING ABOUT HIS WEIGHT!! HE ALWAYS SAY HE IS A HEALTHY HAPPY BOY!!!
    NIKKIJO4

Answer by NIKKIJO4 at 11:00 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• He's 3. I wouldn't worry about it. If you're worried about it, then he'll pick up on it and develope a complex about his size. He's got a lot of growing to do.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:16 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Thanks for all the responses!!! It helps to hear other mothers input---I kept telling myself hes fine,but it's always nice and reassuring to have others opinions! Alot of people tell me hes going to make one hell of a quarterback some day lol And as far as doctors go-I would NEVER change my doctor,our doctor is EXCELLENT,I have went to him for 13 years now-in fact most of my family goes to him lol.Like I said he doesn't eat ALOT-and he eats fruits and veggies and as far as being active and getting exercise-hes CONSTANTLY on the RUN!! He'd live outside if we'd let him lol Thanks again for the responses everybody!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I know kids are different. I have a 3 years and 2 months son and he is 40inches tall and 34lbs. He does not gain weight but keeps growing in height.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 1:35 PM on Aug. 6, 2009