Bottle

When should you switch to a nipple that allows more milk at once on a bottle?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:23 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If baby is breastfed at all, never. Stay on the slowest flow.

For formula babies, the nipples are marked by age.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:30 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• OP: Marked on packaging or on the actual nipple? Some of my bottles and nipples are not in packaging anymore but I know which ones are fast flow and slow flow
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:34 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I would try them yuorself - they all need to be washed anyway. I could also tell from how my son was sucking, but I never really went back and forth. once I switched, I threw the old slow flow ones out.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:35 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Do not go by age for switching nipples.

If the baby is taking longer than usual to eat (45 minutes instead of 20) switch.
    If the baby is fussier during feedings, switch.
    If the baby is gassier than usual, switch.

When you do switch, keep the baby more upright until he gets used to the faster flow. Some bottles do have a medium flow, and some even have a variable flow. I like the variable flow because there was no need to switch. It used the baby's suck...harder it sucked, faster it flowed.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:58 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• My boys liked the slow flow until they were almost 8 months old. I would switch because it felt like they were taking forever to drink their bottles but they would get mad. So you can try to switch and see how your LO likes it.
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 6:07 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I agree with ticcledblue. I also agree with gdiamante my breastfed babies NEVER liked a faster flow even long after they were off the breast.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:56 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Ticcledblue got it exactly right.
    You will also know if the medium or level 2 flow is too fast because the child won't be able to swallow fast enough and the formula will come out the side of their mouth more. That is why sitting up higher is recommended.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:33 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I NEVER CHANGED MY BOYS' THEY WERE ALL BREASTFEED!!
    NIKKIJO4

Answer by NIKKIJO4 at 10:56 PM on Aug. 5, 2009