Why doesn't my 8 month old babble?

My 8 month old daughter doesn't babble. She screams, screeches and whines but doesn't say "mama" or "dada" and doesn't seem to use consonants at all. She also doesn't respond to her name. She's already crawling, sitting well and starting to pull herself up on the furniture so I'm wondering if she's focusing on physical stuff rather than language?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:23 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would say that is the case. Babies can really only focus a couple things at a time. Give her time and she will be talking non-stop! ;) Don't rush it. Like my FIL says you teach 'em to talk and then you want to teach them to be quiet...lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:29 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Do you talk to her?
    I mean real words.
    that could be the problem.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:31 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Kids all develop at different rates. My son started speaking early and is quite the little chatter box now at 2.5 however my nephew who is almost 2 doesn't say anything yet. The occasional "dada" and "oh no" but that's it.

Does she respond to loud noises and other sounds? Have you had her hearing checked?

If her hearing is fine then I wouldn't worry too much about it. 8 months old is still really young. She might skip babbling all together and just start firing out words at you one day.

My son didn't crawl and I was worried, then one day he just walked from the table to the couch like it was no big deal.
    Kids are weird like that :)
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 5:33 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• my son was the exact same way and I just knew something was wrong with him, I was pumped with stories of kids who were saying mama or dada or even more and so much more advanced than how my son was acting. He was never a babbler -not ever - never made those mouth sounds to entertain himself as a little one. I was terrified. I suppose he was 1 when he said his first word and really started so slow in that area although in other area's was crawling./ walking /active - I think all kids are diffferent on how they progress. my son had a verbal breakthrough at 19 months, he's only 21 months and in 1 month went from 1/2 words to 4 word sentances.. its so fun
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:34 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I would have her hearing checked first to be sure that it is fine.
    If it is, then begin speaking to her in normal to low tones only so she will have to stop and listen. Use simple words and short sentences and commands so she can understand. Eventually, she will learn to be speaking on her own and speaking at normal levels.
    When older children only yell a parent has to tell them that they will only listen when they can speak or ask in a normal tone of voice. The child is ignored until they speak in a normal tone. The child should always be spoken to in the same manner, too.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:31 PM on Aug. 5, 2009