Fingers numb/tingling - getting worse it seems

What could be causing my fingers to be numb & tingling?

I whacked my elbow on that arm HARD, so hard, on Monday night. But just today I am feeling the tingling. it's just from my elbow on down to mainly my pinky & ring finger. Do you think that caused it? Maybe it's a nerve thing. Would it be weird that there would be a day's delay in the tingle starting?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:25 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Health

• Is your elbow tender to touch. Esp the inner and outer sides? Is it painful to extend or contract your arm? Do you have a history of carpal tunnel? It is possible to irritate a nerve so that problems last a while. What is odd is that it didn't begin for 2 days. If your elbow is tender go to a Dr. There are two little bones that sort of stick out on either sides called the medial and lateral epicondyl. A simple whack is sufficient if it is in just the right place to fracture off. If not treated nerve ands muscle damage could occur. If your elbow isn't sore this is unlikely. If it continues you should make an apptointment to make sure you haven't pinched a nerve.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:36 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• If this is a pinched nerve elsewhere is causing this, how long should I give it before seeing a doctor? I do have an appointment with my general practitioner in 2 weeks for something else - can I wait to bring it up then do you think?

Thanks for your help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:25 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I would not wait that long. Just thought of something else is this your left arm and are you have any chest discomfort or bad indigestion. If yes you need to be seen now. If not and the numbness is still present tomorrow I would be seeing the Dr. to make sure everything is okay. Sometimes if nerves are pinched and stay pinched long term damage can occur.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:57 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I had thought that too, that maybe it's a heart thing since it is my left hand - but it's seriously just from my elbow (if I keep it bent) down to my left two fingers. I am not having any chest discomfort or indigestion. The reason I am seeing the doctor in two weeks is for fullness in my neck that they thought was thyroid-related but apparently was not (I had some testing done on that).

My hand tingling seems to subside when I keep my arm straight rather than bent, so I am pretty sure this is just a nerve thing. It seems to have improved throughout the night.

Thanks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 PM on Aug. 5, 2009