Your Catholic? Will you get my statue blessed? I can't be bothered.

Although my entire family claims "Catholic" as their religion, there are less than 1/2 a dozen who actually go to Mass. Here lately I have been considered the family sacramental official. When the owner of a rosary, medal, statue ect would like for their religious artifact to be blessed they can't be bothered by going to Mass and asking for it to blessed. We live in the same state but I live at least 40 minutes away in a different city. It takes longer to drop their stuff on than it would take to just go to Mass.

I understand many of you do not believe in sacramentals, that is not what I am asking.

If I am asked to get an object blessed I will do it but I won't go out of my way to pick the item up or drop it off. Would I be totally out of line if I said, "why don't we to Mass together at this time and after Mass we can ask for it to be blessed?"

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:30 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't think you would be out of line at all to say that. The worst they can say is no. In my opinion, it would be better if they went themselves.
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 5:37 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• That's a great idea and would not be out of line at all, IMO.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 5:37 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• It's not out of line at all, they are taking advantage of you.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 5:53 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• It is not your place or responsibility to give them the protection that is granted by those sacraments or to ask for it to be done for them. If they want it, they should ask themselves. I may not believe in sacraments, but I know a object holds power if a person believes it does.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 6:09 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I think it would be a very nice way to handle the situation.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 6:19 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I don't think that is being out of line and it's a polite way of handling it...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 6:27 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Not out of line AT ALL. They're being clods.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:26 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I think it's a great idea. It's not like the CC teaches that if something is blessed it suddenly has magical powers or something. It's the belief and faith in God that is important - the sacramental is just a reminder of that faith or belief. If someone wants to have something blessed but doesn't want to be bothered with actually practicing the faith - it would indicate that they don't have a full understanding of sacramentals and may have a more superstitous attitude about them (and the CC does teach against superstition). By inviting them to attend Mass with you hopefully it would help someone realize that.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 10:35 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• What Eringobrough said ;-)

Seriously, Eringobrough has a great answer, as she always does for Catholic questions. Thanks for all you do here :-)
    LibbyLife

Answer by LibbyLife at 11:09 AM on Aug. 6, 2009