• In the Spotlight:

do you worry about viruses and bugs at schools?

I just watched this cutesy video about "battling the bug" (http://battlethebug.com/webisodes.aspx#Baby) during back to school season. do you worry about bacteria and viruses when you send your kids to school? who knows where those other kids have been and what they have been touching! how do you protect your kids?

DCchick06

Asked by DCchick06 at 5:45 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• yes i do woory abouth viruses and bugs. We practice a LOT of hand washing. I have 3 boys and will have 2 in school this year. it is hard because when one gets sick it seems like it goes through all the kids sooner or later. Hand washing is the best defense i think. I try not to worry abuot it to an extreme though.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 6:00 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I keep them in a bubble and spend all my time worrying about every little germ, sniffle, cough, etc. I don't enjoy life because I am so worried about what MIGHT happen to them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:31 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I taught my daughter at a very young age not to put her fingers in her mouth of touch her face unless she just washed her hands. This helps but kids in school will get sick. Wash hands and/or sanitize often is also key. Our whole family also gets the flu shot every year and that seems to also help with resisting regular colds.
    EMaria

Answer by EMaria at 10:30 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• No, I don't worry. There are more important things to worry about.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:24 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• When the Swine flu came out in the spring I was very worried, simply because nobody knew exactly what it was, and we heard all these horror stories on tv. I am a little more relaxed now after knowing more about the bug, but we still practise hand washing and common sense in our house, especially since I have a baby, and I don't want her catching something.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 7:49 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Not really. I mean, I've taught my kids to wash their hands to prevent getting sick, and they're pretty good at their school about having hand sanitizer everywhere and keeping those lysol antibacterial wipes handy to wipe things down. I fell comfortable with the measures they take to keep it to a minimum. Plus - with my older kids they've already had so many of the common bugs they should have built up an immunity by now!

Answer by missanc at 10:49 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Yeah, i definitely agree you shouldn't over-worry about it, because that's never good. but still, it never hurts to be too safe, especially since cold and flu season is coming back around in the fall. i am stocking up on plenty of kleenex antiviral and making sure everyone in the house washes their hands!
    DCchick06

Answer by DCchick06 at 6:24 PM on Aug. 11, 2009