Horizon organic milk boxes

I saw them today in the juice box aisle... they're real milk, though, not rice or soy... how the FRICK can they stay fresh on a regular shelf?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 6:02 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I buy them for my daughter and always wondered the same thing! haha
    NavyMama6894

Answer by NavyMama6894 at 6:27 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• We sell these at the cafe I work at - I think the box it says they are ultrapasturized & UV pasturized to make it safe to store at room temp before opening - like everything else they sell these days, they've been altered to last longer than we do! However I did talk to a milk rep once that told me Horizon has the strictest standards of any dairy he's heard of - Maybe you could email Horizon & ask them - you might even get some coupons out of the deal :)
    greenergypsy

Answer by greenergypsy at 6:58 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• greenergysy, the milk rep lied to you.

http://www.cornucopia.org/dairysurvey/index.html

Answer by rkoloms at 8:02 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• WTF?????????? oh my gosh that's incredible..... thanks for posting the link! I have never ever seen anything like that before. Wowzer, this changes a lot for me... I sure wish I was rich. It's so much easier to take care of your family and the world when you can afford the good good GOOD stuff. Walmart and Trader Joe's aren't looking so hot... but if it's all you can afford, you're shit outta luck. Might as well give in and serve cherry coke and pringles for dinner.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 8:18 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• gosh I miss Cherry coke and pringles. Ever since I started losing weight my taste buds changed what they like and I don'l like the taste of my two favorites anymore. sad.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:02 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Wow that link on organic farm ratings was really interesting - thanks for sharing. I hope I see that rep again soon - I'm going to ask him about it & see if he squirms!
    greenergypsy

Answer by greenergypsy at 7:58 PM on Aug. 10, 2009