Please help me before I go insane!!!

Ok so I really need some ideas on what to do or at least some motivational/inspirational words, especially since my husband is away for the week and I am all by myself with 4 kids until then.
Alright long story short my newborn will not let me do anything. Right now as I type I have him propped up on my shoulder. I have not been able to put him down for more than 10 minutes since 11 this morning (it is now 6pm) and for about 6 out of those 7 hours I have been breastfeeding him. No matter what he just does not seem to get satisfied. I even got desperate enough to give him 2 oz of formula and after he downed ALL of that I burped him and he still kept sucking on his hands and whining and showing all of his hunger cues. He will not let me put him down, if I do he starts screaming and here it is dinner time and my 3 older kids are complaining that they are hungry but I cant get away to cook for them, I AM NEAR TEARS!! please help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:11 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He's only 5 weeks old but I figured he would be somewhat regulated by now- the only reason he is quiet now is because I took a piece of ripe banana and smashed it between my fingers and swirled it on his binky and gave that to him- he is sucking it off like crazy
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:14 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Sweetie I think he's hungry. I think BF is a wonderful thing and did it with all 3 of mine but you should think about supplementing with formula. How's your milk supply???

mommymine3

Answer by mommymine3 at 6:23 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Set him in his crib and let him scream while you take care of the other kids. Normally I am not want to just let an infant scream for a long time, but for the sake of a little sanity-just do it. Make sure the other kids are taken care of and then go back and nurse him. It may just be one major appetite increase or he may have colic. Take it easy and try to block out the screams for a little bit. I am so glad he is sucking on his binky!!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:25 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I think my milk supply is ok and he was born weighing 7lbs 8 oz and now at 5 weeks old he is 10lbs so the dr says that means my milk is fine but my mom and dad told me that maybe i should get my milk tested to see if its good enough for him i dont know what to think or do at this point
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:33 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• try some cereal....I know people igt think it's early, but if he's that hungry, he might need something else...he still is small s make it thin and let him lick it off the spoon. He should still have the tounge reflex so he might make a mess......it worked for mine.....little piglets
    rowdy24

Answer by rowdy24 at 7:32 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Let me know how your night goes. I am praying for you. Get your kids to bed and if you have to, take the baby to bed with you. That way you will get some sleep. I sure hope it isn't colic, although if it is, doctors are now giving prescriptions for their tummys. We got one for our second born. It made the 6 - 8 hours of constant screaming only 2 hours!!! Huge relief! My heart goes out to you. Hubby worked two jobs for a while and there were many days I was sitting on the bathroom floor sobbing while my kids screamed in their room.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:46 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• He's likely going through one of his growth spurts. It sucks, but it means that he will be breastfeeding constantly for at least a couple days.

He doesn't need formula or bananas. He just needs to breastfeed.

That said, you also need to try to take care of your other kids. So if you don't have a baby carrier of some kind to keep him attached to you, you may need to put him down for a few minutes and try to make something for supper super quick. Nothing involved, or just order a pizza if you can.

If you are to the point of going absolutely crazy, lay him down for 10-15 minutes and leave him safe while going somewhere you can't hear him cry and get a Mommy Break. But I really think that carrying him in a carrier and just nurse nurse nurse will be your best bet.

After the first 2-3 months those growth spurts slow down and you will stop being QUITE so bogged down by his need to nurse.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 7:53 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Oh and based on his weight gain he is perfectly healthy and your milk is fine. You're folks love their hearts dont' know what they are talking about. He's perfectly healthy and happy, just hungry, this will pass as he gets older.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 7:54 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I love everything WillDoDa said.
    You're doing a great job, he just needs to eat. He is teaching your body to make more milk to meet his needs.
    I hope you make it through the night, and to the mall to get a sling tomorrow.
    Good luck
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 8:29 PM on Aug. 5, 2009