Is it normal for a 7 year old to talk about death often?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:19 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Has he had someone or something die recently? Our society has become quit facinated by death latley. Just the previews they see for movies are terrible. The toys,books,movies etc. Make sure before passing a judgement that he's not being exposed to a lot of it first.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 6:33 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• depends on what's gone on around him and how he is discussing it. My 4 and 5 yr. olds have gone through "death obs." times -- actually around 3.5 -- b/c they are exploring the issue.
    My great - aunt (89 yrs old) talks to them about the family and show them pictures of her family (our cousins etc. as you can imagine most are -- dead) so they talk about death, and go through these phases about it.
    Since I know where they are coming from -- it doesn't bug me out and we talk about it as app. for their age.
    Kids do go through "fascination" phases and death is part of life. SO on its own... it could be normal, it depends on how and what he is talking about and why.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 7:21 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• My 7 year old has been "fascinated" or maybe "overly curious" for years now---ever since his great-grandfather died 3 years ago. In a way I absolutely hate it because I don't want my 7 year old constantly talking/thinking about death but in a way I'm glad he's learning about it at his pace, yes it was 'thrust' upon him at first with a death in the family.
    lissa27504

Answer by lissa27504 at 9:10 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• When my grandparents passed away it got my nephew thinking about death a lot. He is just trying to understand it. My nephew is raised by my mother and he is constantly worried about her. He is always asking her if she is going to go away to live in heaven, or if she is going to get turned into a rock (he thought that my Grandmother turned into a rock when he saw the head stone on her grave).
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:35 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• definitely depends whats happening around them.

my girls discuss death but their Grandpa just died from brain cancer so they had to go through the process of watching grandpa die. they know he died, and is now in heaven with god.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:16 AM on Aug. 6, 2009