my baby is 2 and a half months old can i give him single gain cereal?

my baby is lactos intalerant. he has all the signs of being ready to eat. at his 2 month check up he was 12lbs and 25 in long. he is very tall and skinny for his age but, very health.he holds his head up perfect he nearly sets up on his own. i just feel like he is still hungry! its not at all about him sleeping threw the night. he has all way slept threw the night. what do i do i dont want to hurt my baby in any way!!!

june1baby

Asked by june1baby at 6:19 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You should wait until he's at least four months old. The recommended age to start ANY solids is at least four months old. Some recommend waiting till six months old.

My daughter was also lactose intolerant for her first six months of life, so I know how you feel. She drinks soy formula. We started rice cereal and fruits at four months and added veggies at six months. She's now seven months old and is no longer lactose intolerant.

I'm just saying...some people with IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) are noticing that their moms fed them solids earlier than the recommended age. It will be safer to wait.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 6:25 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Then give him more formula or breast milk..which ever you are using. He already has a sensitive stomach, I don't think it would be good to mess with it so early without guidance (as in recommendation) from the doctor.

If he's still hungry, then up the ounces of formula or the nursing sessions.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:41 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I wouldn't. But call his Ped. and get her opinion. You and your Ped would have a better idea if he was ready that anyone here. Usually they recommend 4 months.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:54 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Lactose intolerance and holding his head up are not what is required to begin cereal feeding. My suggestion is to wait until he is able to push food to the back of his throat with his tongue and swallow without choking. When he is older you can try thinned out rice cereal on a spoon to see if he can do this swallow test.
    In the meantime, keep feeding him his formula or breastmilk and speak to your pediatrician about intrducing cereal.
    All my best to you!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 6:56 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• i would wait until your child is 4 months at least to start anything like that my DS didnt start until he was 4.5 months old and my DD was almost 6 months old before she finally took any kind of ceral.
    MommyOf2kids67

Answer by MommyOf2kids67 at 7:06 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Giving solids before 4-6 months has been linked to both food allergies (rice is starting to be a big one now) and IBS. Offer him more breastmilk or formula. You don't want to mess with his delicate little system.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 7:52 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I started all my sons on rice cereal and applesauce at 2 to 3 months old and my youngest will start when he hits thhat age range as well and none of them have any of those problems- plus what do our grandparents did? my mother fed me applesauce the day she brought me home from the hospital and her mom the same with her- and were all fine! if ur baby seems hunggry feed them! lol just be smart about it and thin it out really well
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 8:03 PM on Aug. 5, 2009