If abortions are to remain legal shouldn't the time limit be less than 23 weeks?

Do you feel they should lower the gestational period allowed to getting an abortion to ten weeks or so? I'm not a huge abortion fan but if you insist on it why would you wait so long? I can't believe the legal limit is 23 wks! I guess my question is why would it be legal to wait so long? Not trying to debate, it's just something I've pondered many times.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:28 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Some people don't even realize they're pregnant until after ten weeks. I didn't know I was pregnant until I was seven weeks.

But yeah, I agree that late term abortions are a little..."unethical," to put it nicely. I'm pro-choice, but I think late term abortions are pushing the envelope.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 6:30 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• i believe they should remain legal, but ELECTIVE abortions should be no later than 12 weeks.
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 6:31 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I agree with Pookipoo. If you choose an abortion, do it in the first trimester.
    gludwig2000

Answer by gludwig2000 at 6:33 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I am pro life I wish abortion never existed but that is a dream and I know it will stay legal. I honestly feel that no matter when its done its the same thing but IF I had to choose! I say no later than 10wks all women should be given antibiotics before and after the procedure and automatically put on deporovera (sp?). Why?? it is known that giving antibiotics before and after the procedure helps reduce the risk of infections meaning less post abortion deaths...and the depo well obviously if you are not on birth control but sexually active you are more than likely to make the same mistake twice. Pull and pray doesn't count.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:37 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Haaaa...pull and pray. That's how I got my little bundle of joy!
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 6:44 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Yes,  but that is not my decision to make.

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 7:11 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Only 1% of abortions are late term. Of those, how many do you really think are elective and not to save the life of the mother? How many of those are to spare the mother the agony of carrying a fetus to term when it is known the baby won't survive?

You would probably get more support for the concept of lowering the number of weeks if all states would agree to remove the pre-abortion requirements in place which slow the process down. You would also still have to allow medically necessary or compassionate abortions (those where the fetus is terminal anyway).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:29 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Haste isn't taught today about anything. Really, it's a work ethic thing like standing by your spouse when your warm and fuzzies take a hiatus for a bit that has totally gone out the window. Our world today is about doing what best suits our own individual needs and not paying mind to abstract or debatable responsibilities. Whether they are ethically or morally wrong isn't the issue- it's about what kind of reasoning we can do to make things that are questionable seem less questionable... or by simply saying that them being questionable doesn't mean they are empathetically wrong, kwim? As long as we as a society are willing to push envelopes, the limits on debatable things will not change. For myself, I'd rather err on the side of caution when it comes to moral responsibility... but that's just me apparently.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:02 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I agree it should be no later than 12 weeks for elective abortions not including severe medical problems and they should forfeit their right to not use birth control after that. There should be an immediate IUD inserted after the follow up for the abortion. I would not in any way shape or form mind my taxpayers dollars going towards preventing unwanted babies being aborted or put on welfare. It makes sense. A woman gets an abortion and then gets an IUD. If she can't pay for it they put her on payment plans and let her pay it out or let the govt pay for it. The govt would save money. IUD's run about $500 one child on welfare, wic, medicaid, etc for 18 years will cost a whole hell of a lot more than that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:10 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• No. A woman should have complete choice as to if and when she wants an abortion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:13 PM on Aug. 5, 2009