Do squids have souls?

The other day my son asserts to me, "Squids don't have souls." I said "What, squids don't have souls?", and he said, "No they're not like us." I said, "Oh so people have souls but squids don't?" and he said yes. "I said, well what's a soul?". He said "I don't know." I said, "Well, if you don't even know what a soul is, how can you be sure that we have one, but squids don't?" He's still thinking on that.

My son is only 5 years old. His dad and I are both atheist, and we have not started teaching him about god, or souls, or any thing religious yet. This is actually the first time he has brought up anything like that. It kind of came out of the blue. I don't really want to force him into believing the same as me, I want him to be able to decide on his own what he wants to believe.

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 6:29 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well my opinion would be NO squids do not have souls but I do not believe humans have souls either. JMO
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:32 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• animals dont have souls thats why we can eat them. lol it was a quote from Morel Orel
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 6:32 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I don't really believe in souls either, but I wanted to get him thinking on his own, rather than me telling him what to think.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 6:33 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Oh, and I love Morel Orel!
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 6:34 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• O.K. I believe only humans have a soul. I also believe God created all life. If you read the creation account in Genesis you will see that humans are the only creation made in God's image.  I believe this refers to a soul or an eternal part of our being.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 6:35 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Every living thing has a soul. That's the native american in me. That's what we are taught. I've seen animals behave in such ways that there is really no doubt in my eyes that they do. Sure we eat them, but we also thank them for sacrificing themselves so we may do so. Encourage him to research the idea. I may believe all living things have a soul, but there is no way I can prove it. That's why it's called an opinion. :) Smart kiddo encourage that.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:38 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Morel orel is the dumbest cartoon on the planet!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:41 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Anonymous
    Morel orel is the dumbest cartoon on the planet!

I disagree I think it's spongebob. Then again..I don't think I have ever seen Morel Orel
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:42 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• its not a cartoon its claymation!!!!!! i LOVE it i think its hilarious. its hard to understand unless you know a bit about the books of the bible, have an open mind, and a good sense of humor.

a really good sense of humor.
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 6:44 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Kristi, you can go to youtube and just type in Morel Orel if you want to see some clips. I also think it's hilarious!
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 6:48 PM on Aug. 5, 2009