needing answers asap! concerning metronidazole.

my OB tested me and said i had a vaginal bacterial infection and prescribed me metronidazole. i told her that i was breastfeeding my 3 month old and askd if it was safe, she said yeah, but i checked online anyways. the net says not to breastfeed while taking this because it passes through breast milk. what should i do? believe the doc or the web?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:42 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Kids' Health

• call your pharmacist. They can tell you. Thats who I asked about all my medication questions to. ask if its safe to take while breastfeeding, They know if it is or not.
    casd

Answer by casd at 6:44 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Is it pill form or a vaginal cream?

Is it more important that you cure your infection and then go back to breastfeeding or to continue breastfeeding while your infection continues to grow and makes you very ill...if not worse?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:58 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• The drug is an L2 medication which means it is safe to use while breastfeeding.
    There are 5 classes (similar to drugs with pregnancy) And L1 is safest, L2 is safer.... and so on to L5 which is contraindicated.
    For example, Tylenol is an L1
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:56 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• AmiJanell- nice answer!! And very well put.
    casd

Answer by casd at 1:43 AM on Aug. 6, 2009