my almost 14 month old girl..licks and eats anything and everything.

Is that normal?? My mom told me she was watching a doctor show and they said to tell ur pediatrician. but i wanna know from u guys what you think...cuz i hate taking my daughter to the daughter for no reason. u know.

but she'll eat dirt sand grass ANYTHING...and won't make a face or anything...she'll just keep eatting it or licking.

nicole0709442

Asked by nicole0709442 at 6:44 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• its SO normal, just keep an eye on her and make sure she doesnt eat poison or anything.
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 6:45 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• to the doctor*** thats what i meant lol
    nicole0709442

Answer by nicole0709442 at 6:46 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• It depends, honestly it does. They have to watch for Pica, but it isn't something you need to rush her to the doctor for. So just keep an eye out and see if she continues to eat one specific non-food object. DS had Pica, but his was paper. Books, magazines, notebooks, he actually preferred the almost cardboard type of paper.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 6:48 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• will ur son always have pica?? does he have to take meds. or will he grow out of it...Because My daughter has been doing this since she cud crawl...and after my mom told me it might b mad..it kinda worried me.
    nicole0709442

Answer by nicole0709442 at 6:55 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Yea I have a little Pica baby too. She is now 2.4 and is finally getting the point she CAN'T eat everything! It's good to give the docs a heads up at your next appointment but nothing you need to rush in for. Keep a close watch though cuz kids who eat like that are way more likely to eat something dangerous. My daughter has eaten a mushroom from the park, the little do not eat things from a shoebox, and (environmentally friendly) degreaser (all called poison control and they said its ok) She now has lead poisoning...I watch her like a hawk and she finds a way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:55 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Pica is not something you can treat with meds...it's something you have to learn to control. When the child gets a little older the do therapy to learn how to conrtol it but all you can do is watch them and teach them not to do it. It is something you carry forever. Some of the weird things they eat...dirt, poop, paper, glue, wet coffee grounds, wood and much more!
    minimommy816

Answer by minimommy816 at 6:58 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• its totally normal when i had my daughters year old check up i had the same problem and i had told the doctor about it and she said it was normal and just recommended that i get my daughter a hepatitis shot just in case. she still does it a little but instead of anything its usually food which is kinda gross still lol i guess she really believes in the 10 second rule lol ten seconds and above lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:06 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• If that's not normal then I have a problem because my 19 month old STILL eats every thing. we were at this indoor play place that has a sand box with moon sand in it. I was watching my son, turned around and she was eating it by the spoonful! Gross!! I told her it was yucky and she spits and says 'ewwww' then laughs her head off and did it again. lol. She lost sand privileges. Little twit. :0)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:50 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• For us it was redirection. We had to keep the paper up. Even now, at almost 8, his shirts are fair game. He doesn't eat paper anymore, and yes, he redirected, unforunately, now, I can't put a long sleeve shirt on him for more than an hour or it will be destroyed.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 11:26 PM on Aug. 5, 2009