What do Braxton Hicks feel like?

I've heard so many different things, can someone help to clarify? Is it just when your stomach feels hard is when you're having one? How long do they last? I always thought my baby was just pressing against the front of my uterus when my stomach gets hard, but maybe that is BH?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 6:51 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• yes, your uterus will tighten and get really hard. It will feel like you have a "ball" in your tummy. They dont usually last for long maybe 30-40 seconds..sometimes longer, and sometimes shorter. They are a way for your uterus to practice for labor. They should not be painful, and should not cause any cervical change. You can get them at any point in pregnancy. I get them and I am just 14 weeks...this is my 4th pregnancy, so I am firmilliar with them. Hope that helps!
    wntg1grl

Answer by wntg1grl at 8:34 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• ok they vary for everyone...like my friend and my sister said theirs didnt hurt at all their tummys just got tight for a second or two, mine were regular and fullblown contraction like, mine came every mins, so like every week id be up at the hospital thinking i was in labor, braxton hicks just vary, from no pain to omg i want to kill myself pain...sorry that didnt help much good luck
    dilemma1

Answer by dilemma1 at 6:55 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• BH = false laybor contractions, they are slightly painful sometimes, they make you feel as though you are ready to have your baby, but you are not dialated they feel almost a little more intense then sharp pregancy cramps that happen ten to twenty minutes about I hope this helps :)P

CrystalPmom2

Answer by CrystalPmom2 at 6:57 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• ...still confused...
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:59 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• it feels like your tummy is gettin really hard and tight and like something is tugging at it. it hurt!! but real contractions, for me, felt like REALLY bad cramps. Hope this helps!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:04 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• pregnant bellyDepending how the baby is positioned, braxton hicks can be painful and feel like the real deal. They did for me. That's why you hear of so many women rushing to the hospital thinking they're in labor, but find out it's only BH.......Good Luck to you and your little one...God Bless

lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 7:07 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• on both my pregnancy's it felt like my boys was just stretching. it didn't really hurt and it can last for awhile and sometimes it can hurt towards the end of my 2nd he was so low it hurt

mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 7:24 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• What you describe sounds like how my braxton hicks felt like. I had no pain, just a nice squeeze that I would call enjoyable. It is a tough one to describe. They can last from about 10 seconds to a minute or so, it varies so much. Sorry I wasn't too much help, but it sounds like what you're experiencing is the braxton hicks.
    LisaPisa

Answer by LisaPisa at 7:43 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Thanks :)
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:28 PM on Aug. 5, 2009