cleft palette

Does anyone know anything about a cleft palette. My friend had her baby yesterday and he has a cleft in his soft palette, and no tonsils or uvula. They said he will need surgery, but didn't go into details about when or what it will entail. They also said breast feeding will be difficult. Does anyone have experience nursing a baby with a cleft?

They also want to do genetic testing to rule out any other problems. Is that standard, or because they suspect something?

If anyone has any experience with this I really appreciate your info. Thanks

MAUREEN55

Asked by MAUREEN55 at 7:09 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son was born with a cleft lip.. not a palete though my sons is the less severe of the two, the test that they are running are routine tests, my son had other tests done. It is just to make sure there is nothing else going on. the doctors were really great though, they have equipment that doesn't even use sugical tools my son was done buy laser and healed very quickly. they ran genetic tests on me as well it was my grandfather that had a cleft palete. My daughter That is only 19 months has no cleft lip or any other problems :) There are special bottle nipples to use for the baby for feeding, they are long and flat and the work great. There is medicane for your friend to take to help her breast milk to still come in with the pumping of a breast pump so the baby can still have breast milk :) I hope this helps hun :)
    CrystalPmom2

Answer by CrystalPmom2 at 7:24 PM on Aug. 5, 2009