What do you know about bariatric surgery?

My Dr told me today he is referring me to bariatric surgery clinic for weight loss. It is about weight loss but it is also about the fact I need a knee replacement and the Dr's won't even think about it unil I'm 52. I was told I just have to live with the pain for 5 more years. We have already done 2, 3 series shots of synvisc Has anyone done this..or at least gone through the evals thinking about it? I want it..yet I'm scared. I'm so disgusted of failing at diets. Losing weight then gaining it back plus 10 more. This is a 30 yr struggle. Advise?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:22 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Health

• My SIL and BIL both had it done, they both lost weight, him more than her but after awhile they both put the weight back on plus. They had the gastric bypass. An old friend of mine had the gastric a few months after my SIL and 3 years later she has kept the weight off. For some it is the best thing they ever did, while for others they just have a nasty scar and no long term weight loss. I know they can not eat alot at a time, they get sick very easy etc..A customer of mine had the band, and she has not lost any weight, and it has nothing to do with the band, she orders her food first and eats really really slowly so she can still eat it all. Do some research about the different options and see which one you like best. I wish you the best.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:40 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I had Gastric bypass. You just have to do the research on a good doctor. I lost 70lbs then got pregnant. Yesterday was actually my one year anniversary for the surgery. Ive stopped losing since ive been pregnant but thats a good thing. I dont have much more to go before im my ideal weight. After my son is born of course! Im extremely glad I got the surgery. As a matter of fact My Mom saw how happy is made me and she just had it in May. :) GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:27 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• My sister in law did the lap band thing and she lost like 150lbs or something. At first a lot of pounds came off fast, then not some much. She can't have soda, even diet it's cuz of the bubbles or something. no alcohol and if she eats to much she barfs. Thats all I know.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:30 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• i had gastric bypass.. also due to needing to have total knee replacement. drs wouldn't touch me until weight was off. i had multiple synvic treatments but knees were too far gone. i'm not 45 yet and both knees have been replaced. if u decide to go with gastric bypass or bariatric surgery... do ur homework and research on the procedure and physician.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Anon:45 Holy cow. I sure wish My Dr's would do my knee right now. I'm being told they won't do it before 52 because of the life of the implant. If I were 52 right now they would do it. Obviously, weight makes joint issues worse. They want me to do the surgery in hopes that the reduced weight will keep me out of a wheel chair before Im 52. I'm bone on bone with heavy degradation of the surfaces. Doesn't that inconsistancy just piss you off.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 PM on Aug. 5, 2009