does anyone else feel this way?

Like a lot of people now days I don't have a lot of money. As a result I use my son's clothes as long as I can and buy most of them from Walmart. Most of his clothes are faded and worn but they are clean. I never use stuff that is stained and my son himself is always clean. When I take my son places I always seem to see kids in brand new brand name clothes. It embarrasses me that my son is always dressed like that but I don't know what else to do. I would love to just go buy him some new clothes but I also have to pay rent, the electric bill and buy food. Nobody bash me for internet. I am at the public library.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:24 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son is seven and wears clothes out like crazy :) I am a huge fan of Ross. It is actually way cheeper then Wal-mart and it seems to last a hole lot longer, I just bought my son a fitted hat at Ross for 2.99 (just like what all the teenagers and my husband wears :) Plus they have all the brand name stuff on sale alot, like the tapout, shawn paul, nike, adidas, especially eko brands:) the shirts for him and jackets there I have never paid more then 9.99 for a swaet shirt name brand and honestly not more the 3.99 for a shirt :)
    CrystalPmom2

Answer by CrystalPmom2 at 7:46 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Have you tried shopping at the Goodwill or Salvation Army stores? I have found some really nice name brand clothes at both places for less than Wal-mart.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:34 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I will try that. Thank you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:37 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I have no shame in shopping at Walmart for clothes. They have cute things for boys and girls. I don't care what others think of me and how i dress my kids. I do have some brand name clothes, but i buy them at places llike Once Upon a Child which is a store that has gently used kids clothes. check on-line to see if you have one near you. I am sure there are some 2nd hand stores near you.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 8:09 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I agree with Salvation Army type stores. Also if you have a Once Upon a Child or Children's Orchard near you, sign up for their email alerts. They resell only better children's clothing (not all of it is as that great, but it's often better than thrift stores). I think their usual prices are kind of high, but I've gotten some amazingly good deals at their clearance sales, which I know about ahead of time because of emails. I also shop ahead and buy nicer brand clothes on clearance for next year at stores like Gymboree and Gap. But if you can't afford those even on clearance then don't worry about it. It's just clothes, and it's better for him to learn that those things are not that important anyway. He's clean, he's fed, he has a home, he's taken care of, he has a mom who loves him, and that's far more important than what brand he is wearing or how new they look.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 8:13 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Oh, and I also agree with the person before me who said there is no shame in shopping at Walmart, they do have cute kids clothes.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 8:16 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I would definitely go to Ross!!! Its the best place to go for the name brands and alot cheaper.I would go but its and hour away from me.My boys are not even close to the age to even care yet.But I helped take care of my family and my younger brother wanted the name brand clothes.So I know how to bargain shop and dress for less.I go to thrift shops, and goodwill, or salvation army too.You should check the store out once or twice a week and just slowly start adding nicer and newer name brands to his closet.But you don't need to tell him where you buy his clothes either.Im not sure if he cares but most teens would not want to be caught in a goodwill or any thrift store, or wear any of the clothes bought there even if it was nice and a name brand.
    SweetChamaole

Answer by SweetChamaole at 8:32 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Try Once Upon a Child. It's a thrift store that sells only kids stuff and you can get a lot of name brand stuff there for very cheap. It's also a great place to get winter coats because they grow out of them so quickly!

Don't feel bad about your faded Walmart clothes though. Kids don't need that many nice clothes. As long as they are clean I wouldn't feel bad. I used to work in a day care and I remember that the staff made more comments about the nice clothes than the thrifty ones because the parents always got angry when the kids got paint or dirt on them. Kids need play clothes and nice clothes. I have a few nice things that my son wears to Church and to parties or special occasions and the rest are hand me downs or Target clothes that he can get as messy as he wants in!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:42 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I am a wal-mart, Meijer, Target baby clothing shopper. I buy clearence for the next season. I don't feel bad that my child is in clothing that I didn't spend a lot on. My way of thinking is. . . What am I going to feel worse about, Chris getting stains on an outfit that cost me $10 or Chris getting stains on an outfit that cost me $40? Don't feel bad about being Thrifty. . . you child doesn't.

Also, another place to look is Mom-to-Mom sales. . . You can get some great deal on kids clothing. . . Oh I also vote for Once Upon a Child. . . oh and outlet malls. . . I get tons of Carters for like 50%-70% off and I usually have a coupon they send me. . .
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 9:49 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• second hand shops you'll find brand stuff otherwise who cares that hould be your least priority
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 10:32 PM on Aug. 5, 2009