am i the only one that doesnt like being a mom?

Everyday I sludge forward. It feels like it gets harder and harder. I just dont like being a mom. I hate the feeling but its the truth. The majority of the time I cannot stand it. There are those few moments where I love it. But about ninety percent of the time, I cant stand it.

Anyone else out there like me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:25 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• It's one thing to dislike certain aspects. Indeed, it's normal to dislike some some part of the gig. But to hate everything? That screams to me of depression. Have you talked to your doc?

Answer by gdiamante at 7:28 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I definitely know the feeling. Just because you don't like the job doesn't mean you don't love your kids, though. That's what most people can't understand. I love love love love love my daughter. I love her more than life itself. But I just don't think I make a great mom. People equate this with me hating my child or something. I think it takes feeling the same way to understand it. Have you been tested for depression? Maybe you have a chemical imbalance that you could get treated. I'm on two antidepressants right now. It wouldn't hurt to at least get checked.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:29 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• nope..
    I LOVE bein a mom!
    effie777

Answer by effie777 at 7:29 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• While I love being a mom, I know that my sister never really took to the idea. She loves her kids and she is really getting into the Grandma thing, but she ended up being the bread winner and my BIL became a SAHD.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:32 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• You don't need to be depressed to not like being a mom! I am a little put off by the fact that most people assume that if you don't like it, then their must be something wrong with you. I don't like being a mom most of the time either. Granted my "kids" are stepchildren (who live with us 100% of the time), I still agree with you. Being a mom takes a lot out of you. Especially if you are suddenly a SAHM. It's never as wonderful as everyone seems to think it is. Don't beat yourself up over it. You are NOT alone. I think a lot of women are fearful of speaking up because they're afraid of being chastised by others. Now, on the other hand, if you are seriously having thoughts of hurting your children, then maybe some help might be a good idea. I hope that gives you some more perspective.
    TLC1977

Answer by TLC1977 at 7:47 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Its not the best thing I could have ever done with my life, and its nothing like I expected. I was delusional and I thought it would be all love and sugar. But it gets easier. I know that with my next one I will be such a better mother because now I know better.
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 7:51 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Was wondering how old your child is?
    BrokenAquarius

Answer by BrokenAquarius at 7:53 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I am with you. I love my kids with all my heart. I hate my job. I know it's rewarding and has great benefits but it's not what I had in mind. If you want PM me and we can swap stories. Sometimes it help to know that there are other out there who feel like you do. I am lucky to have a very good friends right here near me to chat with. We vent to each other and then we feel better and get through another week of playing 'pretend'. :0) Please no one take this wrong i would do anything for my kids. anything in the world. I preform my job well and with a smile. i love my snuggles and fun times. They know they are loved and secure. That doesn't make ME like it though.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:58 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I love being a mom and I would give anything to be a SAHM but I am not able to be one so every minute I am with my DD i soak it up. I can't really understand where you are coming from but, that's me. I am a step-mom to and I love them children as they were my own. I don't believe anyone should look at you like a bad mother if your taking care of them and loving them the best way you know how then that is all that matters. If you want to hurt them then do them a favor and give them to someone they will love and care for them as there own there's a lot of women and men out there that want a child and can't just don't hurt anyone. I do agree you need to be looked at by your doctor, you do sound like there's some depression or something going on .
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:01 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Nope, you aren't alone! I'm not a fan of this MOM thing either. I didn't want kids. He didn't want kids. But our kids apparently felt we would be good parents and here they are. We both love them so very much but if we could go back, I don't know if we would have had them... I am a work-a-holic and love my sleep... As a mom, I can't work, don't get any sleep, am forced to be around my family because after years of not speaking they just show up to visit... Not to mention I haven't had a single hour to myself without worry about "where are the kids," "what are the kids doing" or "Do I have time to do this before the kids get up." Nope! I'm NOT a fan of this MOM thing!!!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:24 PM on Aug. 5, 2009