Would it be weird to go to a "trunk or treat" thing at a church for Halloween if you're not a Christian?

I've considered it, seeing as I don't know of any "secular" Halloween gatherings in these parts. If anything it would be a great chance to meet moms with little kids and it would be a great chance for my daughter to meet some other kids, yanno?

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 7:26 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Only if invited. In fact the day before I had my youngest I went to a Trunk-or-treat with my neighbor to her church. I helped contribute candy to her Trunk as well.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:28 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I know that at our church all are welcome.
    NannyTracy

Answer by NannyTracy at 7:29 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Just be prepared that some people are going to want to "minister" to you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:33 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Yeah, it would be weird if I just showed up to some random church LOL. I live on a pretty safe street, but the idea of going door to door with a 10 month old is just blahhhhhhhhhhhhh.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:34 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• When our kids were too young to trick or treat we just handed out candy and enjoyed looking at all the adorable little costumes.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 7:39 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I've gone to church functions before with my children. I don't think it would be weird at all. It's for the community unless it would specify "church members only" or something to that effect. I'm not christian either. But my parents are catholic and his side of the family is christian. So I expose them to all beliefs.

So i think yeah, it would be fun for you and your daughter I think to go. Especially if there are no specified trick-or-treat times in your neighborhood.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 7:39 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

Depends on the weather, but the first two years we just set him up in his stroller in a costume, and parked it next to the steps, then sat on the steps to hand out candy. We also went all out on decorations - set up a projector on the dash of the Jeep and played old black and white horror movies on a sheet hanging in front of the garage door.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:43 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I can only say that you would be welcomed with open arms at our church. We put on a Fall Family Festival, and it is pure fun, no preaching. The only thing they do is give you a little info about the church, service times etc. And the best part is it is free.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 7:58 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Well, if you found out about it from a flyer, I guess that is them inviting the community, isn't it? I don't think it would be bad to go. Just be prepared to be asked to attend. It may not happen, but, you may hear it, so it's best to be prepared.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 8:01 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• TRUNK or Treat? What is that? I have only heard of "Trick or Treat". Is this a church thing? I don't think it would hurt for you to go to a church Halloween party. They won't make you swear that you are a Christian,will they? LOL.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:01 PM on Aug. 5, 2009