when can you start giving juice to a baby?

I know I have to go half water.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:30 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If I remember right WIC told me 6 months.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 7:32 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Six months at the earliest, I think. Although most people think it's not needed, and I tend to agree. My daughter is seven months old and doesn't like juice, I guess that's a good thing, lol.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:33 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• WIC says 6 months but I gave it to my daughter as soon as she figured out how to hold a sippy cup....just mix it 1/2 water 1/2 juice
    rowdy24

Answer by rowdy24 at 7:35 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• 6mts but reduced with water
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 7:37 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Do you think it would be wrong for me to give my DD juice at night? she cries in the middle at the night for something to suck on, and she does not use a pacey and water she hates so juice? she is 6 months
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:40 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• My Ped said 4 months but I waited 'til 9 months, when she stopped breast feeding. Really 6 months sounds more reasonable to me than 4 anyway though.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:42 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• You CAN give it whenever you want to. You don't HAVE to give it, however. The decision is up to YOU.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:42 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Are you sure she's not hungry? I'd rather just give my baby another feeding than empty calories, which is all juice is. If you have to get up anyway to give her juice, it would be better to give her something beneficial, like BM or formula. My son is 2 and has only had juice once.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:50 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• her ped said to let her cry if she wakes but she cries for 30 minuets with out stoping but I know she is not hungry because her cry is not the same. It sounds more like a wine
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:59 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I personally would avoid any night time juice. The sugar in it would sit on her teeth all night long. Of course milk or formula on the teeth isn't great either... I dunno, that's tough. Maybe try giving her a bottle with more like 2/3 water with a touch of juice for flavor. I would try to get her used to plain water to though if it was me. The sooner she gets used to it the better. I guess it's really up to you. she is technically old enough to have juice it's just a matter of you deciding what kind of habits you want to encourage or start. Make sure you think whatever you decide through because once you start any routine it's hard to go back. My DD goes to bed with a cup of water every night she is 19 months old though.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:05 PM on Aug. 5, 2009