Diaper rash question....BAD diaper rash...

My daughter is 5 1/2 months and has a REALLY bad diaper rash. its so sad. its all over her butt and a little bit on her vagina. (mostly butt though) Desitin wont stay on enough either will butt paste or powder or anything. Im using A&D right now. but everytime she goes to the bathroom in her diaper, she cries because it hurts her so bad. I am not using wipes, i take her diaper off and wash her off with water and a little bit of baby soap.
Its been 3 days since i started doing this, and its still exactly how it was. Part of her butt cheeks are so bad that it bleeds a little bit. The rash itself is very dark red and parts are rised up and it looks a bit chapped too. Its so sad to see her hurting from it.

IF THIS WAS YOUR BABY, WOULD YOU MAKE AN APPOINTMENT TO SEE HER DOCTOR, OR KEEP DOING WHAT IM DOING AND SEE IF IT BACKS OFF A LITTLE AND SLOWLY GOES AWAY?? THANKS!!

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 8:06 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it sounds like its a yeast infection....and yes babies get them all the time...boy or girl :) call the doc and they will tell ya whats safe to use....its been too many years since my girls were in diapers and cant remember...hehe
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 8:08 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• my dd was the sameway nothing otc worked i took her to the dr repeatly finally a dr suggested a+d mixed with hydrocortizone the a+d will sooth the sores and the hydracortizone will kill the bacteria i notice a difference in a couple diaper changes with my dd also let her butt air out...lay her down on the floor with a towl or a blanket or the best for airing out is out side in the sun if u can as much as possiable the fresh air will do her wonders. my dd had this problem for a year and i swear by this mixture...im preg with another baby im not even going to wast my time with otc stuff im going to use the home remedy that worked
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 8:11 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I would go to the doc . It seems like nothing is working. Poor girl!
    msfila1980

Answer by msfila1980 at 8:14 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• i made an appt. last fri. because my 15mo. old had a bad diaper rash too. I was told to alternate neosporin, nystatin and butt paste. within 3 more days it looked so much better. I also would let him be naked for about 45min. at a time. That was interesting. His older brothers thought that was funny.LOL. Good luck and use your mommy instincts about calling the pediatritian. I would if i were you. She may need a script. The rash may be caused by yeast.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 8:15 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• i let her crawl around on a few beach towels ill lay down for her for about 30-45 min at a time a few times a day... im going to try the A&D and hydrocortizone... butt past isnt thick enough to stay on her butt and it lets the pee and poo get through.

i change her diaper right after she is done going so it doesnt sit that for more than.. 5 min i just feel so bad for her :( shes such a great and happy baby its so weird to see her cry in pain :(
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 8:18 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Go to Wal Mart and buy Clortrimazole. It is kept in the athlete's foot section and you can buy a tube of it for $3. My daughter suffered from yeast infections from the time she was 3 months old, and this cream always had it cleared up by the end of the day. It may take an extra day for your daughter since it sounds like she has it pretty bad, but it will clear it up. My daughter has learned she must eat yogurt 3 times a week to keep the yeast infections away. She's 9 and started eating yogurt when she was 8 months old.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 8:18 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I would call the ped because there are great prescription diaper creams out there. I would also do some naked baby time. Air is great for those healing butts.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:21 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Has she been on antibiotics recently? That can cause a flare up of yeast. You may want to see a doctor but in the meantime it would be diaper free time for my kiddos. And no cream or anything for that, it needs to stay dry. Yeast thrives in moist areas. Plain yogurt does miracles for yeast if you'd want to apply that, but I think I just contradicted myself. Maybe ingesting yogurt would help her. I am so sorry she is in so much pain. I hope she gets better soon.
    LisaPisa

Answer by LisaPisa at 8:21 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I would DEFINITELY call the doctor and get a prescription for Nystatin or whatever else they think she needs. Also, let her air out-- put a blanket or a towel down and who cares if she pees it. And long warm baths.
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 8:35 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• yup... yeast infection my 8month old just had one. you can also try using the otc monistat cream the 7 day one. thats what i used on her and it started to go away in 2 days.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 1:31 AM on Aug. 6, 2009