kids yard swap

Not only was I an only child growing up, but I was insanely shy so a lot of my kids (3 and 4 1/2) social stuff is confusing to me. In my yard we have a big bouncer with a slide. The next door neighbor has a climber with swings and slide. Both yard have trikes, bikes, sandbox, and ride ons. When my kids and the neighbors kids are both outside, they literally swap yards. They don't play with each other... they swap, literally. So we've worked it out that I watch hers and she watches mine (although we're right next door, so can see all 4 kids, really) but I am a little baffled on the "WHY". I get that they want something new and different and fresh. But how is that urge stronger than wanting to be social with their little playmates?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 8:08 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• The concept of "the grass is greener on the other side of the fence" may very well apply. and it maybe so much more interesting than socializing. lol
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 1:17 AM on Aug. 6, 2009