So i asked a question a few days ago about my SIL living with me and my SO and our baby

and about her not cleaning anything. i asked her to do the dishes and she said yes and then went to sleep in the middle of the day... well now, she broke our expensive computer desk, got her eye liner smeared al over our hardwood floors moved all of my stuff out of the bathroom she uses and had her friend that we do not know spend the night and she left her here the next day while she was in school until 2 in the afternon....what the hell should i do? were helping her with a place to stay and she is helping us by paying a little bit of rent... its only until Nov when our lease is up... but shes driving me nuts!!!

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 8:30 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Relationships

• if she is your SIL i would tell your hubby to talk to his sister about respecting your home.
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 8:34 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I would talk to hubby and tell him you are fed up, and then both of you sit down with her and lay down the 'ground rules' for living in your home. I would tell her as long as she is living there she needs to respect your things, and she needs to get off her butt and clean up her own messes, and pitch in with housework. I would also tell her that your house is not a 'free hotel' for her friends-- any 'guests' have to be cleared with you first! If she does not like it or pitches a fit-- then she has xxx days to find a new place and move out.
    good luck!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:56 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• yup, let hubby handle it

Answer by admckenzie at 8:58 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Well she is paying you rent, I can see why you are annoyed but I am also thinking she is a grown woman and you are not her mom. Try and talk to her and see if you can come up with some agree able rules.
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 10:16 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• regardless of whether she is paying rent, having random people stay over can be dangerous for kids involved. You need to point out that fact to her. Remember that dad who let that homeless guy stay overnight and he had his daughter that weekend. The homeless guy ended up killing his daughter? I think that was out of Missouri. Yes, maybe that was extreme, but you never know when someone could touch your child inappropriately. Bring drugs into your home, etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• How the heck does someone get eyeliners smeared all over hardwood floor? I would put a stop to allowing her to have people stay over without your approval. That is not safe at all, and takes a lot of the control away from you. Losing control of your home is never a good thing.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 2:07 AM on Aug. 6, 2009