Hands in the mouth

When I feed my daughter yams she gobbles it down happily.
When I feed her plain cereal she puts her hand in her mouth with every bite. Is she trying to block the spoon or what? She still eats it but most of it ends up on her hand and she either sucks it off or wipes it on the high chair or her leg.
Should I just forget about the cereal and give her yams every time?
I only give her like a tablespoon of cereal or an icecube size cube of yam. Like 4 times a week.
She is just over 5 months.

BambiF

Asked by BambiF at 8:35 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i would stick with Yams and in about a week try something new.. like sweet potatoes, by daughter LOVES sweet potatoes... if you introduce something new to her though, try it at least 4 days after you already gave her a diff food so if she has an allergic reaction you can notice what foods bother her. also only give her single foods nothing like fruit medley which has more than one kind of fruit in it... :)
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 8:39 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Why don't you try something else.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:39 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• avocado is another fruit which is REALLY healthy for them. try that :D
    MomNbabyGirl009

• Yams are sweet potatos lol
    And anon I was just asking if I should drop the cereal all together or keep offering it since we're just starting out.
    Im sticking with yams for now because I baked off 2 of them and want to use them up before baking off something else.
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 8:41 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Plus I cant tell if she just doesnt like it or if she's just exploring it because the texture is different.
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 8:42 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• one more thing. avocodo is a fruit??? lmao i always thought it was a veggie.
    I'm going to try that next. No dishes :)
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 8:43 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• oh LMAO.... i didnt know it was the same thing hahahah actually.. i did jeeze.. blonde moment!! and yes, it is a fruit lol it has a seed :D
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 8:51 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I would keep offering the cereal personally. I would also do as the above posters said and try other new food as well. My kids to loved avocado. BTW I never though about it but I guess it is a fruit huh? lol.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:01 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I think she is showing signs of enjoying the cereal,also,you can mix applesauce,bananas, with the cereal,at 5 months,she should be eating a little more variety, I think you can add a new fruit or veggie once a week.Also, I didn't know advocado was a good option for a baby,did you ask her dr.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I did not ask my Dr. It never crossed my mind to do so. We have no history of allergies and a child can be allergic to any food any way so we saw no additional risk I guess. It is a food that is very high in good fat though. great for underweight babies like mine. :0)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:37 PM on Aug. 5, 2009