This is a question i got from reading the womans question about her daughter shaving or nairing her legs...

What is the big deal to people about girls wanting to shave their legs? i just dont understand what the big deal is about it. and why it is so bad to allow them to?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:37 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• I dont know...I guess its more of a priveledge than anything.
    Plus once you start you cant really stop
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 8:39 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I have wondered the same thing. I don't think its a big deal; I just assumed it's hard for some parents to let go of their little girls, but i really don't know
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 8:40 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• It's an old fashioned thing. Women who shave their legs do so because they expect men to touch them. It's not the same anymore, but that's the way it used to be. Sometimes you'll hear old ladies talking about how "only loose women shave above the knee."
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:47 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• For me it is about a few different reason and really shouldn't be done earlier then 11 and the later the better. There are safety concerns, there skin is much softer when younger, making them more prone to accidents, nair is a chemical that could damage the skin, it is right of passage, it's about entering womanhood and the responsibility that comes with it. We rush so hard for our children to "grow-up" and then when it happens we wonder when and how did we get here, let them be young as long as we can, our society will better off if we did...I am not saying shaving our legs is the issue, but it is one small step in thier lives that leads to growing up.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 8:50 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• It goes along with 1st graders wearing training bras, and little girls wearing teenage and older styles. It is about the sexualization of little girls becoming a norm. The more a young girl focuses on her body and how it looks the less she values her talents and intelligence, setting her up for low self esteem and poor self image. Which leads to a whole world of issues; dumbing herself down to look more attractive to guys, not taking risks, not speaking up and out about how she really feels, peer pressure, feel that she can do and be what ever she wants. Feel that she has the ability to do what she needs and wants to do.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:58 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• bow downDevillnPigtails- Wow, what an awesome answer!!!!

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:04 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Wow, i just can't top that answer...I totally agree. My Dd can shave her legs when i say it is okay. i'm not sure when that will be but when the time comes I will know.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:11 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• These moms who say "my child will shave when I say they can" seem to fail to take into consideration that kids are maturing more these days regardless of whether you let them shave their legs or not and I know for me I had extremely hairy legs and it really made me self conscience about myself and I refused to wear shorts and in school when we had to dress out for gym I nearly cried every day because it was embarrassing. Had my mom been the type who said I could only do it when she felt it was appropriate without taking into consideration my feelings it would have been horrible for me. If I ever have a little girl i'd let her shave once it started to bother her whether that be when she's 9 (When I started) or 15 it's up to her.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 9:22 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• "These moms who say "my child will shave when I say they can" seem to fail to take into consideration that kids are maturing more these days regardless of whether you let them shave their legs or not "

It's not that kids are maturing "more" these days, it's that children are sexualized early in life which is exactly what a previous poster said. A little girl wearing a playboy bunny t shirt isn't more mature than one wearing a barbie t shirt. The one wearing the playboy bunny shirt has just been exposed to things that are meant for adults.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:30 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I don't understand it either.

I don't agree with a parent allowing their daughter to shave "because her friends do" or "because she wants to feel grown up"; but I did have a friend growing up who was abnormally hairy and so her mom let her shave at a young age. Kids WILL make fun of that kind of stuff, so if I felt like it really was an issue for my dd I would get her whatever she needed and teach her what to do.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 9:30 PM on Aug. 5, 2009