Can a 2 year old have psychological problems? I have no control...

My 23 month old, not even 2 yet is getting worse and worse. I know kids go thru their terrible 2's but he never minds, I have given every punishment you can think of and nothing works. I just had another baby and I am at my wits end. He receives occupational therapy and speech thru mrdd, they said he has sensory processing disorder but there has got to be more to it. I have no control over him whatsoever anymore, he's a terror. We have alot of children in our families and none of them act the way he does. I just can't take it anymore. His father is bipolar and his grandfather is on death row for murder, (he's schizophrenic) could any of these be in my son and could signs be this early. No one can figure anything out because he's not even 2 yet.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:37 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• you mean your baby's father in bipolar? and baby's father's father (grandfather) is a schizophrenic on death row?

Those are both medical conditions that came about sometime or other in each of their lives, so I think sure a younger generation could have those illnesses or simliar. See if you can get an appointment with a children's hospital's psychologist, that combined with the therapies he's in could be more helpful. Good for you for searching for answers now instead of waiting til school and losing precious time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:46 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• It is way to early to give that kind of diagnosis. BUt it you are at your wits end then seek professional help. If there is a family history of mental health issue and he has some developmental issues, then some counseling for the family and your son would be helpful for everyone. THey can give you tools of how to work with your son now and in the future, put your mind at ease as to the fear of mental health concerns, and basically listen to you so you don't feel so stressed.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:47 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• both are genetic ... I would try to start with your Dr... behavior management is the issue... I am working with a specialist for our RAD child... his has us giving her 15 logical and 15 illogical things... we are just to say "something will happen" and stop talking... it is a brain wire issue... the right and left side of the brain are not "talking" together... you might also have his vision check... some behaviors are vision related... I would also look at putting him in a structured early childhood program to help you .. our daughter's bio mom is bipolar so is she... good luck, get some help as the behaviors will get worse, and all the punishment in the world will not work... chat if you ever want to
    BlessingsBegin

Answer by BlessingsBegin at 8:49 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• bipolar and schitzophrenia both run in my family as well..my grandmother and great grandmother had schitzophrenia and dimentia. my grandfather had and my uncle and sister have bipolar disorder.

schitzophrenia doesnt really come into play until the child is in their teens. bipolar on the other hand is from birth. my sister had a lot of problems growing up. she never ever listened. she was always very mad or upset about something and rarely smiled.

keep a very close eye on your child. bipolars without medicine dont make it through life too well...they get through but not anywhere near as well as if they were on meds.

sensory processing disorder is not an actual diagnosis. its not a medical condition. its being tested and processed and considered as we speak. go to this site http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com/ i just read it. its a sad excuse for why children are the way they are..
    DrummerboyzMama

Answer by DrummerboyzMama at 8:56 PM on Aug. 5, 2009