Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I know something is wrong!

ok so i work @ a pre school & i've been in this field for a very long time but now i have a 7 month old who looks like he's only 3months old. He cant not sit up, not even try, when we do "Tummy Time" he has absolutely NO arm strength & just screams, no leg strength & you can feel his back bone so bad, he is so skinny, his feet stay blue so i keep him wrapped up in a blanket & massage his legs & feet. he can hardly even sit in a bumbo with out slouching over, cries all the time. He can not hold his own bottle, doesnt even try & when i feed him he stays in the fetal position. Now I absolutely refuse to ask his mom if something is wrong, she'd FLIP OUT!! plus its not my place & i feel as though IF something really is wrong then she would let me know so i know what im working with. i work with him constantly & i get NO WHERE!! he eats 8oz every 3-4 hrs!!! pls does anyone know what this could be?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 8:40 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Kids' Health

Answers (16)
  • I would, ( if i were a teacher) notify CPS so they can look into it. If something is wrong you would want that child to be taken care of, hopefully nothing is wrong nd he is just a slow learner, but it sounds lie something is. I think it is your duty to call them,

    Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 8:42 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

  • I would talk to the director and see if she would talk to the mom. Mom could be in complete denial. Worst case senerio aren't there required exams by the state for kids in day care?

    Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:43 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

  • It sounds like he has a heart problem honestly. Report it to CPS and tell them that you don't feel she's having him treated by a specialist. I work in a Heart Center and you are a mandated reporter.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:44 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

  • yeah i would call dyfs

    Answer by marchma2b at 8:45 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

  • I would bring it up to her... I wouldn't say "what's wrong with him?"
    I would just say, I have some concerns about your son's development, I've notcied he doesn't seem to have much strength when we are doing things like tummy time or trying to sit up, I've also noticed he is much smaller than the other babies his age and I've also noticed that his feet are always so cold they are blue... have you noticed these things as well and have you brought any of this up to his pediatrician?
    I don't see why any parent would flip out about concerns like that.

    Answer by AmiJanell at 8:50 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

  • thank you all so much BUT i didnt mean that i feel as though the parents are neglecting him or not treating him IF something is wrong, he just had a dr.'s apt the other day but she didnt tell me anything. I KNOW they take great care of him. They DEFF have the money to care for him if something is wrong, this is not about how the parents are b/c i know they are grt to him but im thinking she'd just rather keep their personal issues to them selves BUT i would atleast like to know if something is wrong so i can better HIM!! but thank you for your concerns!

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:54 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

  • I don't know about reporting it to cps right now. If you can't feel comfortable talking about this with the parent then you need to give it to a higher up who can. You must even have a physician on call for your center? Has baby gone down hill since coming in your care or has he just not progressed or grown much? Neither is good but have a few of you teachers, some in higher authority, and you as main teacher caregiver conference in person with her expressing concern. See what happens. You can ask for her doctor's note to better care for baby with his directives. If baby's 'illness' isn't figured out and dealt with by her very soon after that approach ask your school's doctor to handle it.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

  • He could have cerebal palsy (sorry sp) or muscular dystrophy that's hard to deal emotionally with in talking to others outside of their immediate circle. I posted 755anony. Good for you for clarifying the good care he's getting but slow slow progress. Just gather your main teacher, you ask to conference with her and don't accuse, ask for her to give you doctor's guidance on your concerns.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:58 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

  • I just googled that & it sounds so much like that!! thank you so much!

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

  • I got 1 question for all the moms who said report her to child services,what is she reporting,"yes, I'm working with a baby who look small and he can't hold his head up"my goodness ,if, you are really concerned and you are the teacher and not the teacher-aide,why don't you just asked her,tell her what you just told us,that you were concern.simple as that,this is not a child service case ladies.He could be a preemie,who hasn't caught up,it could be MS or CP,or nothing.


    Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.