• In the Spotlight:

okay one more question about diaper rash...

My mom told me to take my daughter in the pool because the clorine will help kill the bacteria on her bum...

is this true or just an old thing? LOL

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 8:53 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ive NEVER heard of that...doesnt mean its not true...just never heard of it...but if you think about it chlorine dries out your skin...so maybe thats what your mom is thinking of?? not sure!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 8:55 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• OMG just today my friend was telling me to make sure to dip my arms into her pool to help heal some sores I have had on them for a while now she said the chlorine will help! I havent heard of this before though. When my DD has a diaper rash I let her be naked, letting the air get to it helps to dry it out. Works great for us either I'll plop her down in front of the tv with a towl under her bum on our couch (just so she dosent pee on the carpet) or I'll take her outside. Sometimes I'll let her be naked through meal time in her high chair with a towel under her as well. However you can manager to have her naked it'll help Good Luck
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 8:58 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I have heard that before. Not sure if it is true.  I used to use Paul Mitchell "The Conditioner" which is good for both hair and skin.  Diaper rash is when the skin is out of balance (too much acidity).  The Conditioner brought the skin back to the right PH level.  It worked everytime for my daughter and because it is the same ph level as the skin is does not burn. 

momjs

Answer by momjs at 9:02 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• i dunno. sounds if-y to me. I guess in theory it sounds okay but as an above poster said it does dry out skin which seems counter productive. I would still just call the ped. maybe they call call something in or recommend something you have not tried. Also I forgot to mention on your other question when DS would get a bad rash like that i would put neosporin under the diaper cream and then put powder on top of that. lol. i know that's a lot but it seemed to help.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:40 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Well,I don't laugh at those old sayings,when, you think how the people lived longer and they ate anything they wanted,and they didn't go to the doctor either,they just used what they had and they were healthy.Now,with saying that, when,my grandson was born 11 yrs. ago,he had thrush on his tongue,I put him in my 85 year old MIL lap,she took off his diaper and washed his tongue with the diaper,I screamed and said how nasty that was,but,my grand-baby mouth was healed the next day. We take all the vitamins,we eat natural foods,we drink spring water,and we have more diseases than ever before.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 PM on Aug. 5, 2009