If someone writes a novel is it a true story just in story form?

How can you tell if the book you are reading is fiction or not fiction?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:55 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Most of the time novels are entirely fictional. As a writer myself, I can say that most of the time your characters take on some of your characteristics...but they are living in a made up world with made up problems. Most non fiction books that read like a story are memoirs or biographies or creative nonfiction. These will usually use words like "I" and "we".... and may read more like a "this happened, followed by this...and then this" rather than have a whole intricate plotline. But...if you have any doubts, a fiction book should have a disclaimer near the front where the copyright and all that is. It will say something similar to what movies display at the beginning: "This is a work of fiction, any simularities between the actions, characters, etc is purely coincidental..." and so on and so forth. Also, most nonfiction books have an introduction explaining the purpose of the book, what you should learn, etc...
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 9:06 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• if it is about peole who really exsist it is non-fiction if the characters and sitituations are made up it is non-fiction. Autobio's are a world all their own when it comes to what to believe same with regular bios. Some fiction is based on fact and have fictionalized accounts of factual events.
    Hope that helps
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 9:04 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I've read fiction that was written as non-fiction.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:52 PM on Aug. 5, 2009