~Advice needed~My intact male dog is getting out of our chain link fence!

Hi,I have a stud dog and he has learned to escape our chain link fence. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what have you done to keep your dog contained? Is there something that the fence company can do? This was just discovered so I have not been able to call them. I really appreciate your input. We have been keeping him in our garage and taking him out supervised till we find a solution.

momthruivf

Asked by momthruivf at 8:57 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Pets

• i would look into putting your dog on a runner...if the fence isnt keeping him contained you need to find another method...
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 8:58 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Yup, runners work great.
    We also did an invisible electric fence that worked too. After a month or two of light zaps - he's stayed in the yard every since. :]
    The fence company could do something, I suppose -but they'd probably only suggest making the fence taller or whatnot. Do you know how he's getting out?
    If you can pinpoint where his favorite spot is, you could probably do something about it... For instance, my boxer scaled the fence like a damn squirrel at the lowest part of the fence - where the ground was higher. So we ended up extending that portion.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 9:01 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• The fuuny thing IS we have three other dogs all welsh corgis. None of the others can pull his trick. We let him out tonight to see how he was doing it. He actually just pushes his nose under and slips right under the fence! The little devil is so smart! My dh actually took boards and cinder blocks and put them up against the fence just where we knew he was getting out. I then brought him back out and he just went to another place and slipped out.
    How is the electric fence put in? Sawyer,can you tell me more about it?
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 9:33 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• electric fences are generally put in underground, and the dog wears a special collar with prongs that should rest against the skin. so you'll need to make sure the dog wears the collar fairly tight. they aren't fail-proof though- an intact male is going to try and find any way out that he can if he smells a female in heat nearby. for some dogs, the shock is just uncomfortable and they get used to it.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 10:20 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• You need to rig up a hot wire to the fence, the invisible fencing is what goes underground, you don't need to go to that expense. A regular shock fence wire on a chain link fence would work. You don't want it strong enough to kill him, just give him a sharp shock. It will stop a dog jumping over a fence, so it would certainly stop a dog who is in contact with the fence long enough to crawl UNDER it. It will probably take three times for him to get the idea that it is a very unpleasant thing to do. Once to surprise him, once to see if that is what it really was, and once about a week later to see if it still does it. He will never go near the fence again!
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 11:15 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• dig your current fence into the ground like a foot deep. i think that would be cheaper but i'm not sure.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 1:45 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• there is also an electric fence you can bury under your fence, and in your case, i'd bury it a good 6-8 inches INSIDE the fence. It comes with a special collar, and beings i have a heeler/corgi cross, i KNOW they can be sneaky!

You sure don't want to end up with pups on your front porch and an angry neighbor! LOL! I'd take a gander at what they have to offer at tractor supply, orschelns, or any other farm and home store.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 3:09 PM on Aug. 6, 2009