Does anyone elses lips itch and get a little blistery looking thing on them after eating fruit??

I just ate a piece of cantaloupe sp? and its happening again!! i get this if i eat guacamole (avocado in it) and pineapple cantaloupe apparently too now....

any ideas? its so weird.. this hasnt always happened either it started about 4 years ago.

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 8:57 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Sounds like an allergy. You can develop them at any time
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:00 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• My son, mother and aunt get like that with pineapple...its a slight allergy, they can only eat a couple bites...my other aunt is severely allergic and breaks out in head to toe hives. As you get older your body chemicals can change and you can develop new allergies.
    KaylasMiracle

Answer by KaylasMiracle at 9:02 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Yes, I have this problem, but usually only with fruit that you eat the skin, apples, peaches, plums, cherries... I get itchy lips, mouth and throat and sometimes tiny hives around my mouth.  I hate it.  When it has a thick skin that you don't eat I'm fine, like bananas, oranges, pineapple, melons... it also doesn't affect me if the fruit is cooked, I'm fine with apple pie, etc.

gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 9:04 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• My tongue get a reaction and the top layer peels off. It is like a chemical burn! It happens if I eat a lot of strawberries, cantaloupe, pineapple, etc. I am slightly allergic to those fruits!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:04 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• yeah my throat gets itchy too..weird.. i always thought that might have been it.... lol that sucks because im still probably going to eat it i love me some guacamole and pineapple lol...
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 9:05 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Yep, it's an allergy. I get the same from mangos.
    jmsmrs

Answer by jmsmrs at 9:07 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I get that with pineapple and honeydew.
    Mamasita98

Answer by Mamasita98 at 9:15 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Mine don't blister but my mouth, throat and lips itch after I eat apples, pears, peaches and nectarines.
    LucyLau

Answer by LucyLau at 9:20 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Th acid in fruits can do this to sensitive skin
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 10:53 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Be careful...this can be an allergic reaction that can get bad very quickly. Swelling itching, ect can happen in your throat so that you cannot breath in the worst case.

It could also be a reaction to too much Vitamin C. If you eat a ton of citrus fruits or tomatoes...

You should see your doctor just to be safe.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 1:26 AM on Aug. 6, 2009