What is something crazy you did to land an interview, after filling out an application???

I have found the perfect job, that I am totally qualified for!!! The only problem is, with the economy, I am just another unemployed person, seeking employment... I feel that my resume, and application, were the best they could be... But what is some good tips, to stand out and land an interview???

MOTHEROFQTS

Asked by MOTHEROFQTS at 9:28 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Money & Work

• Depends on what the job is.
    Rachel315

Answer by Rachel315 at 12:17 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• if at all possible, have your previous employers write you out an informal note or letter briefly stating what kind of employee you were. make copies and submit a copy with the application/resume. it's not so much a reference check list, but an objective opinion from previous employers without the new employer having to make phone calls. Good Luck!!
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:04 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Are you on Linkedin? If not, you should be. Check you Linkedin network for someone to make an introduction.

Do some serious research on the company. Send your resume to the hiring manager, with a great cover letter:
    Dear Jack:
    Congratulations on your Restaurateur or the Year award from Illinois Restaurant Magazine! That's a huge accomplishment.

Your rapid growth is a huge tribute to you, especially given the economic conditions, but I've seen firsthand the challenges that such rapid growth can bring. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that your buying staff is overwhelmed during this period of double-digit growth.

At XYZ Inc., I created a supplier-quality program that accomplished snap, crackle and pop resulting in a $10M savings in the first year. Etc

I do career and job search coaching, and will be happy to answer any questions or review your resume.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:25 AM on Aug. 6, 2009