Am I wrong for needing a break from my two children?

My husband and I are in the process of planning a vacation for just the two of us. Every time I mention that I need a break from the kids, he makes me feel guilty about it. I love my kids to death and spend every day with them. I understand that having children is a huge commitment and I accept that challenge. But I don't think that he understand the work that goes behind being a stay-at-home mom.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Relationships

• Dont feel guilty I used to think that there was something wrong w/ me b/c I too need a break sometimes but there is nothing wrong w/ it. Mentally it takes a lot out of u to be a SAHM. When u go to work outside of the house u get to come home at the end of the night & relax in a diff place. For us SAHM we never leave work! My DD goes to bed but yet I'm still here at the place I work at & there is a lot of cleaning to be done but hey tonight I've said heck w/ it & come on here to take a break. Its the best I can do for now lol
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 9:56 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Every mom needs a break. You have to take care of you sometimes too.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 9:57 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• every parent needs a break from the kids and a break together. Go for it and enjoy. The kids sometimes need a break too ya know!

Answer by admckenzie at 9:58 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• It will make you a better parent if you take a break from time to time , it just proves you are a great parent for thinking like you do, Go relax and recharge your batteries you deserve it MaMa!!!€€€
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 10:00 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I flew to Africa for my break and took a two week safari. No, do not feel guilty. It was one of the best choices I've made and let's face it, sometimes the resentment builds. It's important to take breaks (maybe not for 2 weeks but whatever) and refocus on what's important. Plus you recharge and we all need that.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:19 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. Lucky you that your hubby is going on vacation with you. Mine doesnt even want to leave them for a date night to go see a movie.
    gabby.momof2

Answer by gabby.momof2 at 10:21 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• So important to nurture the relationship with your husband. I think it is great!
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 10:55 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• That's the key, make the focus about your relationship and not a break from the kids. Maybe he's hurt because you don't see it like that. (I am sure you do, but you aren't verbalizing it.)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Don't feel guilty!
    i took a 5 day vacation from my family. My lil sister paid for us to go to new york. It was so awesome to not have to worry about packing the kids and husband everywhere!!!

Also, any time someone wants to watch the kids i let them, it's nice to get away once in a while. Kids are stressful! Especially when you have 1 special needs child.
    LilChynaDollie

Answer by LilChynaDollie at 1:33 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• no don't feel guilty. people who aren't stay at home parent/guardians of children don't understand just how much of you goes into it, not even the work but you yourself get lost in the process sometimes. so its better for your kids if you all get some time apart sometimes. they see things through someone else's perspective and you get a breather to refresh and come back a better you. i try to get a break for at least 2 hours every week. even if its just going to the grocery store or running my errands while someone watches the kids for me. i could have been going insane before i left but by the time i get back, i'm a whole new me and ready to handle whatever they throw at me.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:29 AM on Aug. 6, 2009