Whinning !!!!!!!!!! Make it stop !

I have a almost 6 yr. old little boy who I don't think he knows how not to whine it is starting to drive me crazy. He is a pretty good boy over all , but if he doesn't get his way he whines. And I am NOT one of those mothers who gives in to every little thing. Was wondering if your kids whine what do you do? I have used timeouts ,taking away favorite toys,or games. PLEASE HELP ME!!!

kristy817

Asked by kristy817 at 9:53 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My little girl will be 6 in OCT and when she starts whining i tell her she must be tire and needs to lay down. She lays down for a little bit and stops whining. I sometimes have to tell her if she keeps on whining she has to go to bed 30 min early. at that age they are only whining because they are tired.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 10:16 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I always told my kids I could not understand the language of whine. If they wanted or needed something they had to talk to me in a big kid voice or I could not hear and respond to them. When they got older I always asked for a little cheese to go with the whine, LOL.
    higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 11:36 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I had this problem for a long time too. I would always tell my son to stop and think about the way he was going to say something before he said it. And then, my husband spent a day repeating everything my son said back to him in the same tone. That was the end of it. It may not be a tired reaction, although that is common. He may be assuming you will give in to him if he annoys you enough. Or, he may not be aware of his tone. That was the case with our son. He just didn't realize the way he was speaking to people. Good luck.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 12:08 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• We hit our peak at 3 years old with our girl. She's 5 now and still does it some times.

1) Show them what whinning is. Repeat every whine back to them.
    2) Tell them that you do not respond to whinning. You only respond to "Little Boy" language and explain what that is. Also explain that just because they use "Little Boy" voice, doesn't mean they will get what they want. If they whine after that... see step 3.
    3) Whinning isn't tolerated. If you want to whine, you may go to your room until you decide to use your "little boy" voice.

4) Explain that a Little Boy voice is always answered by mommy. but not the other voice.

hope that helps. brings back old memories.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 1:19 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• At our house, whining = time out

Answer by rkoloms at 11:23 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I have the same problem with my 7 y.o son, but slowly but surly it is getting better. I have told him I can't understand what he is saying and that he needs to tell me in a regular voice. I have told him he is a big boy and whining like that makes him look like a baby. I have also repeated what he does. All in combination and has worked. Now I tell him that if he wants to whine about it go in his room because I don't want to hear it. That one seems to work alot because he generally wants to be in the living room with me.
    momof1boy

Answer by momof1boy at 10:59 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Calmly repeat the request in an appropriate manner. When they use the appropriate tone, respond to their requests.
    Manicmondaymomm

Answer by Manicmondaymomm at 2:09 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• i have a 7,5,and 3yr old when they whine i simply tell them to go to there room. when they calm down they ma come back to the rest of the family. most kids don't like being apart from everything.so i found this worked best for me. so everytime they whine they are removed from everyone else.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:56 PM on Aug. 14, 2009