Military question....we are getting ready to go to Holloman AFB. Is anyone familiar with the base or the town of Alamogordo, New Mexico? I am pretty nervous about moving and would love any info in advance. We have gotten info from the base but it is always nice to get a perspective from someone who has lived there!

MrsHatch4

Asked by MrsHatch4 at 10:05 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I have a friend who grew up there. Her dad was AF and then she married a guy stationed there. She loved it and always says she's going back when she can.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:09 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• We were based at Holloman from Dec 1969 until March 1971. I am sure it has changed alot. We lived on base in Capehart housing . It was nice, with a huge living room and dining room, three bedrooms and a fenced yard. I liked it . We had two children then and I took them to the Base Nursery with other Moms' kids so they could make friends and I became active in the Officers' Wives' Club. The clinic was small but they might have bulit a new one by now. Same for the Commissary and BX. We went to the lodge at Cloudcroft in the mountains once for a party and it was beautiful. If you like horse races, they have them at Ruidoso ,also nearby in the mountains. I hope that helps.Maybe you could get some information from the base.Check with CBPO.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 10:17 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• We were stationed at HAFB for almost 5 years and WE LOVED IT THERE!!!!!!!!!!!! We are now at Beale in CA, and miss it terribly! If you are church goers- you HAVE to try First Assembly Worship Center- its the best church EVER and the Pastor, Pastor Crispin is like a second father to his congregation! The town is small, but there is LAs Cruses and El paso thats within 1 1/2 hours away- there is Cloudcroft in which in the winter its all snowy and beasutifl and itsonly a 15 min drive from Alamo. We actually had 2 outa 3 of our kids there- great hospital, Gerald Champion, and the clinic on base is great too. I am sooooo jelous- my husband has changed his BOP to get us back there, but no luck as of yet :( I wish you all the best, add me on your friends link and I can answer any questions you might have along the way!
    duanesgirl

Answer by duanesgirl at 12:31 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I am stationed here at Holloman right now with my husband. Its alright. Very small town, not much to do and kind of hard to meet people. First Assembly Worship Center is an awesome church! I think thats going to be the only thing I will miss. If you like quiet small towns then you'll love it here. Im more of a big city girl so not that great for me. We do have a great pool and most of the base housing is awesome..except for the older houses. Good luck with the move! and welcome to Holloman!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:25 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• we just got our rip... and we are coming to holloman, so any info you have i would love to hear :)
    abbi-lukesmom

Answer by abbi-lukesmom at 4:15 AM on Aug. 1, 2010