Is grandparents' rights still valid in court?

My FIL and his wife (we've been mad at them) threatened to take us to court for visitation of my kids. I read that tey did away with that in 2000 unless not seeing the grandparents is risky for the child (such as abusive parents, or absent parents who need someone else to take care of their kids) which is not the case for us. Allowing our children to see these people IS risky and dangerous. They wanted us to leave our kids over there to spend the day. I think (maybe I'm paranoid) that if we do that, they might call CPS and say we abandoned our kids or something stupid. You never know with these people. Why isn't assault and battery legal? I just wanna smack the shit out of them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:35 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• Not a single state in this country has what is called grandparents' rights. The fact that they even made that threat, for me at least, validates why I would NOT have my children alone with them at any time. No healthy individual would threaten to sue you for custody. If they did call social services, and social services got tired of their calls for family issues, they can actually prosecute them for making those fasle or unfounded claims. This is for any state in the country. Social services gets overwhelmed with calls, unfortunately, from families that are feuding and it is not an abuse or neglect situation. So let them call. But I wouldn't get bent out of shape. This is giving them too much power. Let FIL take you to court. He's just blowing his own money. It won't even get that far.  Honestly, anyone who threatens you should not be around your children.  Period.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:48 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• The only rights Ive heard that grandparents have where I live is if the children get taken from the original parents then grandparents have the seniority to take them instead of foster care, if they choose that route. Other than that I know nothing of visitations
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 10:38 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Let them threaten all they want, they have no such rights, weird people
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• It depends on what state you live in. Have them come visit the kids at your house or at a park or picnic. I didn't let my kids stay over with anyone until they were old enough to tell me if someone hurt them. I didn't trust my MIL. I knew she hit the other grandkids and I wasn't going to let her hit my kids. I finally had to give in but I guess all was well. My son wanted to go back often. If you do let them go over see if you can get them to email a day and time so you can have it in writing that it was planned not that you abandoned anyone.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:39 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• what state are you from?
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 10:41 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• you can let your kids visit with you there, there is no reason to leave them alone. Just tell them to come to your house and then they may leave when the visit is over...easy
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Yes, here they are allowed visitation
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Agreed send an email, just be sure to save a copy to your "sent" items inbox. This way your MIL can not delete the email, and you ahve proof that you planned on picking them up. Also be sure to pass along to any friends and acquaintances the plans for the day, and the time you want to pick your kids up. That way the court will have witnesses to call upon who can help prove that the in laws called CPS before you even said you would be there. Not to mention a few hours does not constitute abandonment if the child is left with willing care takers for a specified amount of time.

But if you want to avoid all this trouble...just keep the visits supervised
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 10:47 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Frogdawg is wrong
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• As long as you're offering them something then they have no leg to stand on, and it's my understanding that it only applies when the parents are divorced anyway.

For example, my MIL REQUIRES that she spend overnight alone time with my oldest stepson where he sleeps with her in her bed in spite of the other two empty bedrooms and three sofas. Uh..no. She's welcome to see them in our home in our presence, which gives her no grounds to sue us at all.

In your case, if you and your husband agree that they shouldn't spend time with these people then they're going to have a VERY hard row to hoe in court.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 PM on Aug. 5, 2009