I have some questions about my 4 1/2 month old...mostly about sleeping at night.

1. How often to soothers and bottle nipples need to be changed?
2. He still wakes up every 2 hours. He doesn't nurse long before going back to sleep. But I really want him to sleep longer and I really don't think he's hungry. He screams though until he gets food. Just sticking his binky in his mouth doesn't work. He eats lots before going to sleep. Also, I don't agree with the letting him cry method. It just doesn't work for me. I feel like he'll never sleep through the night. Does it just happen? Any advice?

NewMom311

Asked by NewMom311 at 10:44 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't agree that it is normal for a 6 week old to always sleep through the night. If they do this, it should be a once in a while thing. Round the clock food at that age is a need. It still often is for a 4.5 month old too. I'm glad you don't use the cry it out method. I also don't agree with putting a bottle of water or anything else in a crib. Bottles do drip. Who wants a baby in a pool of water? My 7 month old is still waking a couple times.. There have been times he's gone until 5 am, but his waking times are still pretty random. He'll nurse, take a pacifier and go right back to sleep. My last baby didn't sleep through for quite a while, unfortunately. Yes, it will just happen : ) Babies grow up fast and one day he won't need this. Maybe you'll look back on the night wakings as special time you shared with him. The need for night time comfort and/or feedings will n ot last forever. Enjoy them while they're little!
    Tamivah

Answer by Tamivah at 11:38 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• you will go to bed one night and wake in a scare and tiptoe over to the crib all in a panic cause your little one just slept 6 hours in a row and it scared the heck out of you (fears of not breathing, kidnapped, things like that). It will come, just hang in there!
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:50 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I don't really know what to tell you, because as long as I knew that my kids had full bellies, dry diapers and were not in pain, I let them cry. It can be hearwrenching to listen to, but it works wonders. They have to learn how to soothe themselves, otherwise you could be in for a lot of extra work for the next couple of years. They learn very quickly that way that lights out means go to sleep. My first daughter was sleeping through the night by about 3 or 4 months (I can't remember exactly anymore) and my second daughter was sleeping through the night by 6 weeks. I was also told (by doctors!) that it is good for babies to cry for awile sometimes, because it's a stress reliever for them. Good luck!
    ginger813

Answer by ginger813 at 10:54 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• i had the same thing, there is no answer mine didn't sleep for more then 4 hours at a time until he was 9 1/2 m. he would have 3 bottles every night and fall back asleep as soon as he was done only to wake up for another one in 2 hours. It sucks!! drop bottle of water in his crib with him (if he can hold his own bottle yet) at 7m i started doing this sometimes he would find it wile crying take a bit and fall asleep giving me 2 more hours of rest. unfortunately at some point you will have to let him cry it out a few nights. His tummy is now trained for food every few hours now and you have to un-train it. He's not hungry its just habit.
    KittyCalais

Answer by KittyCalais at 11:20 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• He is too young to self-soothe, at this age, if he is crying it is because he needs you. At this point, comfort is a NEED.
    kikikiki

Answer by kikikiki at 11:25 PM on Aug. 5, 2009