Should we be worried?

This is our 1st child and the Doc gave us the 'long-face' at the last ultrasound. Said the heartbeat (which we could see) was too slow that it should be around 140 and looked like 20 or so... That I am to watch for bleeding/spotting and call immeadiately. If I have neither, we go back Monday for another look and she told hubby and I that her gut feeling is that the heart will be stopped by then. 2 wks ago I went and was confirmed preg. They said I was 5 wks. But the other day, that I was only measuring 6 wks. How does that happen? And based on my LMP, I 'should' be 8 wks, but my cycles have NEVER been reg. What the hell's going on? and do I need to worry? Or am I just much earlier than she thinks? All we could see was a small something with a head forming and a bunch of little flickers in the chest where the heart is.
Thanks in advance for any input.
Taegan

Taegan_Tala

Asked by Taegan_Tala at 10:59 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I measured small towards the end of my last pregnancy. That's no big deal. The heart was beating at 20 instead of 140? If so then that may be a cause for a little concern. But, try not to stress about it. Stress is no good for either of you.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 11:09 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I will pray for you. I didn't think you could see the heartbeat until around 10wks. But maybe that is hearing the heartbeat. I have 3 boys, but have never had a need for an ultrasound until the regular first one at around 17 to 21wks. I hope to god your baby will be okay. I know how difficult it is to deal with problems in preg. I had 2 miscarriages. One was at 131/2 weeks. Again, i will pray for you guys. God can work miricles.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 11:12 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• because you don't have regular periods - that makes it hard to pinpoint how far along you might be. I know I didn't have a period at ALL when I became pregnant with my son - and first week I was 6 wks and like.. 4 days, the next I was 7 wks and 1 day... lol. My due date had a date range of 5 days.
    They usually determine how far along you are by an ultrasound and how long the baby is, etc. \
    However, I think you said this is your first ultrasound?.. or it should be, at 5 weeks - they might've just roughly guessed how far along you are -then had a better determination with your ultrasound.
    I don't know if you meant the heartbeat was 20 or... 20 below 140... you shouldn't worry TOO much. Just do as the doctor says.
    Hope everything goes well for you. :]
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 11:16 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Thanks all. I'm not sure if I nightmared up the 20 bpm thing or if they actually said that number. This was my 2nd ultrasound. The first one, all hubby could see was a circle with 3 little dots in it. This one, the head looked like it was starting to form up and we could see the chest flickering where the heart would be. Hubby said it looked steady to him, not too slow/erratic, but who knows. Someone told me all Doc's give out a wirst case scenario in a situation like that. So far, my body certianly doesn't think anything's wrong... Running to the potty ALOT and eating like a horse. Also have nausea when my stomach gets close to empty. So, we're just gonna have to keep hoping they are incorrect on the dates.
    Taegan_Tala

Answer by Taegan_Tala at 12:22 PM on Aug. 6, 2009