Throwing some personal ish out there...

Has anyone ever been to a therapist before? Tomorrow is the first time I'm going to see one. Is it like in the movies where you lie down in a chair and they pick your brain? I just want to know what to expect lol. I'm going because I have moderate to severe anxiety during this pregnancy and since I can't take any meds my ob/gyn set me up with one to "let it all out" and see if that helps. Not to mention, the worst part of my anxiety is driving, and she scheduled it with a doctor that's about a 35 min drive from my house! Probably on purpose... :(

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 11:01 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think it will be great for you. Just leave a little early, relax and take your time and just know your doing this to stay healthy for yourself and your unborn baby. Kudos to you;)
    mommymine3

Answer by mommymine3 at 11:04 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I haven't, but I went through the same thing when I was pregnant and my mid wife did recommend that I see someone. I just decided not to I guess.

They won't have you lay down unless you are going to a psychoanalyst, which you probably are not. You'll just sit in a chair and so will the therapist. They'll try to make it more like you're sitting in a friend's living room.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:03 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• yup, been there done that. I sit on a couch and just chat about life. I've never had my brain picked.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:04 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• p.s. sometimes it's best to face our fears. I have agoraphobia and have a germ phobia and have to leave my apt, walk a half mile to the public bus and ride to the next town. By the time I get there I usually need to be there! It gets better though. You will be fine. Just stay focused. I used to have panic attacks driving so this is actually an improvement for me!

Answer by admckenzie at 11:06 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I think if I had insurance I would definitely go. I have a severe fear of traveling on the freeway. I can go almost year without driving on them. I have to confess that I cancelled our yearly trip to Sacramento because I can't take the stress of being on the freeway. But I told my mom it is because I am broke and not feeling well.
    Mamasita98

Answer by Mamasita98 at 11:19 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• i have been to a few, it's good to tell someone you don't know what you're going through because they can help you see it a different way. it really helped me, especially when i was a teen. now i have my depression and anxiety under control. the only thing i don't like about shrinks is they want to give you prescriptions out the wahzoo. i was on zoloft at 14 yrs old for 2 yrs and prozac at 20 for 6months and that crap made everything worse. i finally found an herb called lemon balm, i thank god for it everyday because after a month of taking it, i stopped having panic attacks. i was amazed and so happy that i wasn't hyperventalating 3-4 times a week. i'm 7 months preg now, so i stopped taking it b/c it's not tested in pregnancy, but as soon as i'm done breast feeding i will start taking it again. since i've been pregnant i've only had 3 panic attacks. so i guess lemon balm has some long term affect.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 11:19 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• My son goes to therapy, I think I need it more than he does.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 11:33 PM on Aug. 5, 2009