anyone have a sensitive child..i mean like can't stand the seam of her socks touching her toes, etc.

my daughter has always had issues about her toe seams on her socks. but now she has issues about her ponytail and fingernails and.... is easy for me to say she's just being a brat, but i don't know if she is or not. she always wants her hair put up and will ask me 10 times a day to redo it. she can't stand it touching her neck. she doesn't just ask tho, she acts like she's damn near gonna panic..it has to be done right away. the other night i clipped her nails and she started crying cause one was too short for her and it felt funny..when i told her not to cry over something silly she hid in bathroom to cry. is she crazy , is she sensitive, or is she just a dramatic 8 ( almost 9 ) year old?

jennypenny3000

Asked by jennypenny3000 at 11:17 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Drama Queen! My ex SIL went through that phase too!
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 11:23 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• i had that funny sock problem when i was a kid. i have had a thing about turtle necks or my shirt or jewelry being on my neck since i was really small too. she might have ocd, i have a slight case of it myself.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 11:24 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I was like that as a kid. I still cringe cutting my nails. I have to cut them right before bed because the feeling makes me sick, but by morning they feel normal again. I also make sure my socks are always straight. I don't really think about it, I just do it, but I remember it being very important as a kid. Thankfully my mom was very understanding about it, I think she might have been the same way. I don't think my own kids care, but I'm always careful about how I put their socks on too. I think there is some kind of name for it. My opinion is you should just be patient with her. She is old enough maybe she could start doing these things on her own.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:41 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I try to be patient because i realize maybe she really can't help it. but, i have my suspicions (sp?) . she tends to get hurt alot, i mean she runs into door jams, falls off of beds, etc. of course she hangs off beds upside down and runs around a lot too..sooo. but every lil pain is a major case for her...the other night in her bed she hurt her head on the way above her bed and started crying, i said "well honey it didn't look like you hit it too hard" as sson as she had me hooked she started gigggling...she was faking. even before this i tried to act kinda nonchalant (sorry i cannot spell) when she gets hurt because you just can't go by her reaction as to how hurt she is.. this makes me suspicious about teh rest . is it just her needing or wanting attention? she has 2 younger siblings, but believe me she gets attention. we watch our shows together and play games and go to disney fairies online...etc, etc,.....
    jennypenny3000

Answer by jennypenny3000 at 11:49 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• My friends daughter has all these issue and it turned out that she has a sensory disorder. Like for example when you or I put a shirt on, after a while you don't feel or notice it because you become accustomed to it.  But when she puts a something on she feels it all day and never gets used to it until she gets a sensory overload and begins to feel panicked or upset. Luckily, there are lots of simple therapies that can fix these problems. You should talk to her doctor about an evaluation.

pixie_stix

Answer by pixie_stix at 1:42 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Yes... well, I did. He is now 15. My son was very picky about his clothes - there we just some that didn't feel good and he'd carry on far beyound what was justified. (He also has turned out to quite a fashionista... and is still a bit picky, but manages on his own to find things that feel good and look good). He was also like that about food - not just your picky kid; he was incapable of eating certain foods. At 1 year, we even tried to trick him and push fresh fruit in the baby food jar... he spit it out and go into a panic every time.

A friend recommended a book at understanding and helping the 'spirited' child - I don't recall the exact name, but it did help. What was most frustrating was that most people acted like we were letting him be a brat... which was not true - there we just some battles we decided not to fight.

to be continued....

PhillyinFrance

Answer by PhillyinFrance at 8:30 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• You know your daughter, so you know if this was a phase, or if she has been consistently 'spirited' over the years.

Assuming these picky things have been there for years, I think you need to accept and acknowledge them - like the fact a tag on a shirt or her hair on her neck may bother her, and others, that have nothing to do with spirit - like demanding that you do it 'now' or crying in the bathroom. Acknowledge the fact that she gets bothered by her hairstyle and work with her to find a solution. Idem for the nails - maybe use an nail file instead of clipping them, so you can shorten them just a bit, but do so more often.
    PhillyinFrance

Answer by PhillyinFrance at 8:39 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• It could be sensory disorder, I have a book on it i could send you. My stepdaughter was thought to have it. She went to sensory therapy for a year. She is better now but still hates socks
    gabby2791

Answer by gabby2791 at 11:05 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Yes, my son who will be 5 in 2 weeks is also.....OCD about things. They all have to be in a certain order, or he has to fold his own clothes and put them away...I did take him to a psychotherapist, for a completely unrelated issue, but his tendencies and behaviors came up and so I asked the dr about that, and she simply stated that it was his way of controlling the situation. It's not bothersome to me to have him fold his own clothes or line up all his blocks by color. It's when he starts flipping the light switch off and on a dozen times before leaving a room that I should be worried. I also agree with gabby2791, it could be a sensory disorder as well. A friend of mine has a daughter that has it and sometimes, they can't go anywhere because she can't find any clothes that she can wear that day. Then it's time to go to the dr.
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 11:20 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• It sounds like she has a sensory disorder. Please get her evaluated and in therapy, if necessary.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:20 AM on Aug. 6, 2009