Why is my 8 month old so attached to me?!

Is she ever going to get out of this stage? I am a stay at home mom, but she wont even go to her dad!!. I cant put her down for a second. What are ways to calm this anxiety down?

ScorpioMommy08

Asked by ScorpioMommy08 at 11:18 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just love her :) The more you show affection to her she will stop being so anxious and realize that you aren't going anywhere. Get a mai tai or a ring sling and wear her while you do chores or out in public. She will learn you are always there and in turn she will become more independent.
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 11:30 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• They do get over that eventually... Start out slow and easy, put her in a play pen with her favorite toys and put a load of laundry in. And if she starts to cry don't stress... they feed off of our emotions.
    Rachel315

Answer by Rachel315 at 11:43 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Hmm..Kinda like a reverse physcology thing huh? I love my LO to death. She is literally attached to my hip. Im still carrying her everywhere even though shes 25 pounds! She crys histerically if i put her down.
    ScorpioMommy08

Answer by ScorpioMommy08 at 11:47 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Scorpio, It really does work. Whatever you do. Don't try to force her independence. She will become much more clingy! Try reading up on attachment parenting. I think it may really help you out a lot! This would be a good start http://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/T130500.asp

SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 12:19 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• It will be that way for awhile. Try leaving her at grandmas house for alittle while the more she stays with other family the more she will be able to let go. But she will still be clingy sometimes, my little girl is 20 months and still stuck to me. How ever, she will go down to the shop to help her daddy work on cars now.
    GotToHaveFaith

Answer by GotToHaveFaith at 12:19 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Oh and I do suggest a carrier or ring sling! Something like this

http://www.sewmamasew.com/media/ccp0/prodlg/babycarrier400.jpg

You'll get more done. Your arms will be free and your baby will learn so much independence and security!

SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 12:20 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Wear her in a sling. My twins are 9 months & going through the same phase. I noticed that if I love on them for a few minutes or put them in a sling for a little bit, then I can put them down to play & they're content again.
    PorcelainMom81

Answer by PorcelainMom81 at 12:55 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• You must be a really good mama for her to love you so much! :)

I know it gets frustrating, but forcing independence on her will only create the opposite effect you want. Kinda like when some babies are forced to CIO and are extremely clingy the next day.
    And I definitely agree that you should check out a sling, or wrap, or maybe even an Ergo baby carrier. You'll be able to get much more done, and your sweet baby will still be in her comfy zone with mama.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 1:27 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• She's that way because she's a baby. **smile**

it will pass.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:20 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I agree with SmileyMoo. If you make it very obvious that you're NOT going anywhere, and you're always available, your child will let go a little. After all, you'd be willing to crawl out further on a limb if you knew for a FACT someone would catch you, right? :)
    Also, your child is at the typical phase she JUST realized that you're a separate unit than her, AND that you DO exist you leave the room. It worries her, knowing you can leave her. So, reassure her. If she cries when you're out of the room, call to her, and respond physically as quickly as you can. Keep her close to you and involved in your chores as much as possible during the day.
    It'll help, but keep in mind it'll take a little time. She's clinging to you because she loves YOU. :)
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 2:08 PM on Aug. 6, 2009