what is the best way to potty train a 3yrold boy

Ashlee0323

Asked by Ashlee0323 at 12:24 AM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• don't do it! :) hehehe
    kidding :) But in all seriousness, make your DH help! My son would NOT get into it until #1 he saw daddy pee and daddy ALWASY took him to the bathroom (he is a daddy's boy) and #2 I let him pee outside- I asked him to water the flowers, at first he was TERRIFIED- but I just pulled his pants down and said go for it dude! (we have high fences and no one can see in our backyard- we have taught him ONLY at our house can he do this) but after about a week of Daddy taking him potty and him peeing outside, he is a pro! It has been about 7 months diaper free! WOO HOO! We DO have occasional accidents- and the key is DO NOT put ANOTHER diaper on him...no matter HOW much it SUCKS cleaning underwear! I also highly suggest, if you can, just letting him run naked with LOTS of juice or water outside....when he DOES pee, make a BIG deal out of it :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I am in the process of training my 3 yr old son too. He is actually pushing 3 1/2. I waited a long time and made sure he was ready. When I began to see him want to pee before baths or outside with his brother, then I put underwear on him. At first it didnt go well, then I saw him start holding it. He would reach down and put his hand over his private parts and I knew he likely needed to go. He also just finally went poop in the toilet all by himself. I found him in the bathroom. I made a huge deal over it. He only had 1 accident yesterday. I do notice that if we get in the car, he has a harder time holding it. I try not to make him ride too long. Be patient and be consistent. If you know he gets the idea, then put underwear on him and just keep him at home and work with him. Yes, the pp is right. If he has someone he can watch, it helps. I have a 7 yr old son and a husband and he watches them. Again...be patient and calm.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 7:42 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I had the Hardest time training my son. We tryed EVERYTHING. One day i just said I won't change another dipar, so we explained to him that there were going to be no more dipars. We cleaned up alot of poop on the floor and washed a lot of sheets but in the end he got it. Its not something that happens over night. But just ask all the time and keep up hope, they will get it.
    Alexandranino26

Answer by Alexandranino26 at 9:17 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I'm trying to work with my son too-he'll be 3 next month,and it feels like a never ending task sometimes.lol. Alot of people keep telling me boys are harder to potty train than girls-and some boys are 4 before they're fully trained! We've gotten our son a couple potty chairs so that we have one on each floor of the house.I've had suggestions of making them sit on the potty every 20min. weather they go or not-just to make them try. Ive also heard to put cheerios in the toilet and tell your son to aim for the target(make a game of it).Good Luck Ashlee!!
    dakotasmommy06

Answer by dakotasmommy06 at 11:07 AM on Aug. 6, 2009