My mother driving me insane!!!

Me and my mother were having a conversation about what I'm feeding my one year old daughter. I tell her I dont want a lot of sugar in her diet and she told me I'm being too strict on her diet. I tell her she gets sugar from fruit and juice but she said growing babies need a little bit of sugar. Also I have been giving my daughter skim milk. I am trying to transition her to whole milk because right now she wont drink it. Why do babies need whole milk when skim milk has the same amount of calcium. My mom said its because growing babies need the fat. Should I listen to her advice about the sugar or stick with my instincts?

drs1206

Asked by drs1206 at 12:24 AM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think your mother may be right on the whole milk debate... the vitamin D also helps bones absorb the calcuim more efficiently- It is recommended babies drink whole.

As far a sugar, there is no need for a kid to have a lot of sugar. Fruits, juices, and cereal (as well as alot of what we eat) is laden with sugar. Try not to go too hard on her for sneaking snacks to your daughter when you aren't around- its kind of what they do. And one or two days of sugar overload won't ruin your daughter's chances of being healthy- she'll just learn to expect "treats" when visiting her gandma.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 12:27 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I believe she is right on the whole milk thing but as for the sugar i understand what you mean my MIL loves to give my son push pops and he's 16 months it drives me crazy..
    yas_marie_87

Answer by yas_marie_87 at 12:33 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I agree, shes right about the milk.. a lot of baby's brain is formed from fat so the milk is necessary. The sugar they dont need though, she'll get plenty from fruit, solid fruit will even give her alot more than juice.. try bananas and soft stuff like that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• She's right about the milk. Our Pediatrician had our kids on whole milk until 18 months. Then had us transition to 2% through 2 years. After that, we are able to go down to skim milk. But if she won't drink it, I wouldn't worry about it... go feed her fatty yogurt or cheese. It's for the brain development. the fat helps.

Sugar.. You're an amazing mom for sticking to your guns. Why? Oh Why? do some people think that because you're a kid, you need sugar? Or you don't need to be strict?

I definately don't want my kids growing up with wrong body images by stressing sugar makes you fat, but it is unhealthy....so that's the word I use: Health. I feed my children things that promote good health. You only have one chance to make that impression.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 1:07 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• i also agree about the milk, protien and fat but whatever works for her.. and i'm bad i carry dum dums in my purse to bribe my 22 mo olds
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 1:07 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Babies need the fat in whole milk for brain development. We actually did 2% because we just couldn't squeeze 3 kinds of milk into the fridge. We would be buying milk everyday.

I would stick to my guns about the sugar issue though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 PM on Aug. 6, 2009