hard belly

First timer here and I have been noticing that sometimes my belly gets really really hard for a few minutes, then goes back to how it usually is. I am 17 weeks. Any idea what this is? It doesn't hurt or anything, just feels weird.

rhianna1708

Asked by rhianna1708 at 12:33 AM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Braxton hicks contractions they are normal
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 12:33 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• op- ok, should i go in to see my doc about it when they open in the am, or just wait for my next appt?
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:36 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• No, u will be fine wait for ur appointment unless u are worried. They are just ur muscles getting ready for labor. I know it seems to early but, I was huge when I was 14weeks and mine started then.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 12:39 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Braxton Hicks. Nothing to be alarmed about at all. They are a GREAT thing and help get your uterus prepared for labor. The more, the better ;) My 2nd child I had a TON and it only took me 5 mins to push her out!
    NDFanatik

Answer by NDFanatik at 1:03 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• 17 weeks seems early for contractions. You should still watch closely. Definately go to the ER if you have any bleeding. It's probly just your body changing.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 1:44 AM on Aug. 6, 2009