hard belly

First timer here and I have been noticing that sometimes my belly gets really really hard for a few minutes, then goes back to how it usually is. I am 17 weeks. Any idea what this is? It doesn't hurt or anything, just feels weird.

Asked by rhianna1708 at 12:33 AM on Aug. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Braxton hicks contractions they are normal

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 12:33 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• op- ok, should i go in to see my doc about it when they open in the am, or just wait for my next appt?

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:36 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• No, u will be fine wait for ur appointment unless u are worried. They are just ur muscles getting ready for labor. I know it seems to early but, I was huge when I was 14weeks and mine started then.

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 12:39 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Braxton Hicks. Nothing to be alarmed about at all. They are a GREAT thing and help get your uterus prepared for labor. The more, the better ;) My 2nd child I had a TON and it only took me 5 mins to push her out!

Answer by NDFanatik at 1:03 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• 17 weeks seems early for contractions. You should still watch closely. Definately go to the ER if you have any bleeding. It's probly just your body changing.

Answer by tcarter1981 at 1:44 AM on Aug. 6, 2009